Naples to Catania

Search

Naples to Catania

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naples to Catania

First trip to Italy (leaving end of April) and a little nervous planning on my own for the 4 of us (2 retired couples). Made hotel reservations in Rome, Sorrento and Giardini Naxos but could use help getting there. Have many questions but the most immediate involves trains, buses and planes. I know there's train from Rome to Naples, and switch to go to Sorrento. Would a bus from Rome to Sorrento be easier. Haven't found much info on available buses and times. Just wondering how difficult carting luggage from one train to another in Naples (although we are traveling very light). Also want to fly from Naples to Catania. So far I've only found 2 choices (on the low priced airlines)- either very early or arriving after 6:00 p.m. and then have to pick up rental car and drive to Giardini Naxos. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 07:02 AM

Changing trains at Napoli Centrale is not difficult, though it's best not to do it in the peak commuting times.
There are overnight ferries from Napoli to Catania (www.tttlines.it) and from Salerno to Messina (www.carontetourist.it).
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks GeoffHamer - I was aware of the overnight ferries but everyone wants to arrive in Sicily quickly. Have been reading quite a few negative comments on Ryanair, Meridiana and Airone so not sure if we will use them.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 01:15 AM

Hi FT - There is a daily bus service Rome-Sorrento (- operator: Marozzi) - departing from Roma Tiburtina station.

Fare: approx € 15. Journey time: approx 4 hrs.

For timetable see:

http://www.marozzivt.it/

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 02:59 AM

www.trenitalia.com
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Steve - Am I somehow missing the English translation for the Marozzi site you recommended for bus service from Rome to Sorrento. Thanks
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 07:46 PM

TTT lines is an overnight ferry from Naples to Catania. If you think about it, it's very fast. It's like your hotel moved while you were sleeping. You don't waste any sightseeing day hours.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 01:41 AM

FT - The Marozzi website doesn't have an English version.

What date are you travelling?

Steve
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Hi Steve - We are leaving Rome on April 30.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 11:26 AM

marozzi is a very looooooooooong 4 hours
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

travmimi - We originally talked about overnight ferry but unfortunately I don't do well on boats of any kind.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 12:42 PM

o darn, that's too bad because it's lots of fun. I went on one cruise and never again, but I do take the overnight ferry to Sicily (by another route) 10 maybe 20 times a year. Anyway, always do what's best for you.
You know you.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 12:51 PM

And also, may I ask if you are staying in Giardini Naxos for a certain reason. If you're aren't I might have a tip for you.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

TravMimi - Regarding Giardini Naxos - I've been checking a number of areas in Sicily and after reading numerous trip reports this seemed like a good centrally located area with easy access to interesting sites. Taormina I gather is beautiful but seemed much more costly plus one of my group is a little limited on long walks. We will also have a car and it seemed easier to find hotels which had parking available at reasonable costs. But I am certainly open for any tips or suggestions. Sheila
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 01:31 PM

First about the flights Naples to Catania. Most people do like the ferry, some use train, so that air route just isn't in demand and there is no profit in it for the airlines. Very few flights. Can't get around it. Now about Giardini Naxos. That certainly is a hub for tours of Sicily. I think it's the tour bus/hotel capital of the world lol. I set up lots of tours for people in that area and locals and people who go there alot stay in Letojanni. It's on the other side of Taormina even closer than Giardini. It's a lovely seaside town. There are not many hotels (some on the water some up the hill) but they are nice. It has a nice piazza and lungomare (street along water)Great food! quick easy hop up to Taormina on taxi or bus. There is also a nice little train station, everything within walking distance. I have sent many people there and the only thing they are upset about is they didn't add a day just to hang around Letojanni. It's a thought and something for you to look at so you know you have the bases covered.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g2...ly-Hotels.html
This is the tripadvisor hotel page.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks TravMimi - I will check it out.