Travel from Naples to Sicily?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2004, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In researching the different cities, I have decided I want to go to Rome, Naples & Sicily. Does anyone know of an airline that goes from Naples to Sicily, as I believe it is a long train ride. TIA
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 06:33 AM

You can get a hydrofoil in the summer. The only airports I've used for flights to Sicily are Rome and Milan.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 06:58 AM

Good morning, Snowflake814
Go into www. alpieagles.it, they do fly from Naples to Palermo and also
Catania, e.g. Naples to Palermo twice a day and it is a 55 min flite.
By rail from Naples Centrale to Palermo would be about a 9-10 trip depending upon your train. By water from Naples to Palermo you have two choices and that is a hydrofoil (depending upon the season) which leaves Naples at 1630 and arrives in
Palermo at 2100, is better in time but
understand quite noisy. The other is by overnite ferrie leaving Naples at 1930 and arriving at Palermo at 700 the
next morning, arriving in the heart of Palermo. By air you will land about 30 - 45 minutes from your hotel in Palermo.. Richard of LaGrange Park, IL>
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 06:58 AM
GAC

You can fly from Naples to both Palermo and Catania. You can take an overnight car ferry to Palermo, Catania, Messina, and the Aeolian Islands, and a summer hydrofoil to the Aeolian Islands (the summer catamaran service to Palermo has been discontinued for 2004). You can also take a fast Intercity train or night sleeper train to both the northern coast of Sicily (west to Palermo) and the eastern coast (south to Siracusa).

The cheapest transportation is to take any night sleeper train (promotional fare, subject to capacity control), as low as 15 Euros for a first class seat or 30 Euros for a sleeping bunk (couchette). OR, a promotional fare of 15 Euros for a first class seat on one of the two Intercity day trains (but ONLY on Saturdays). There are a couple of other promotional rail fares described on the trenitalia web site.

There are also promotional air fares available from time to time, usually requiring a significant advance purchase.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 06:59 AM

Good morning, again, left out the ferry site (www.viamare.com)....
Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 12:37 PM
GAC

CORECTION to my previous posting:

The car ferry to Messina operates out of SALERNO, not Naples. It is operated by Caronte & Tourist Lines.