Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Naples. please help, time running out !!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2003, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear forumists, you've been helpful to me <BR>before. <BR>I'm going to Naples in less than 10 days for 3-4 days. I have some business to do in <BR>town, plus 2 whole free days and one afternoon free. My first time there.<BR><BR>My questions:<BR>- I want to stay somewhere between the Central Railway Station and Piazza della Repubblica. What is a good and safe area? <BR><BR>- any decent but *cheap* hotel/pensione in any of these areas?<BR><BR>- what should I definitely not miss visiting?<BR><BR>- how are taxis/public transportation?<BR><BR>Thanks a lot!<BR>
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 10:08 AM

Hope you will love Napoli as I do! <BR><BR>There's a lot of great info already here; try text searches such as &quot;naples and hotel&quot; &quot;naples and restaurant&quot; or even just &quot;naples&quot;.<BR><BR>I stayed in Spaccanapoli (the historic center) right off the Piazza del Gesu, at the Albergo Sanservero Degas last year, and enjoyed it. It's a small, family-run place with good rates and simple, clean rooms that had tile floors, nice bamboo-type furnishings, a/c, and a view of the piazza from my window.<BR><BR>They have two other locations nearby, both of which are in Rants &amp; Raves here. I saw one of them when I went to pay my bill by credit card, and think I would have been equally happy there.<BR><BR>They have a website now:<BR>http://www.albergosansevero.it/ac3_ing.html<BR><BR>Do not miss the archeology museum, to see the treasures of Pompei. The Capella Sansevero is a must for its spectacular sculptures. The Palazzo Reale is by far the most opulent palace I've seen anywhere, including Versailles. The cloisters are uniquely beautiful and peaceful. <BR><BR>Wander around both Spaccanapoli and along the seafront area. Enjoy the delicous, inexpensive food. Have a wonderful time.<BR>
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 10:12 AM
GAC

1. Pensione Parteno or Hotel Rex in the Santa Lucia neighborhood<BR>2. Museo Archeologico, Museo di Capodimonte, Museo di San Martino, Palazzo Reale, Major churches, Naples underground tour, Castel Nuovo (Maschio Angioino) in Piazza Municipio, Piazza Plebiscito, Mergellina, Vomero hill<BR>3. Naples is a walking city. Use the metro to get from Central Train Station to Mergellina. There are frequent buses running along Corso Umberto to Piazza Municipio and Piazza Trento e Trieste. Also, there are funiculars to get up to the Vomero hill and to the San Martino museum/cloisters.<BR><BR>Do a search on this Fodors site for a multitude of postings on this topic.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 10:22 AM

On GAC's recommendation, I stayed at Hotel Rex last October and really enjoyed it. I would highly recommend it. The location is great - just around the corner from the waterfront and within easy walking distance to everything. A short taxi ride from the ferry and train station. And, the price is right. I hope to stay there again one day. The best thing about Napoli - the Neapolitans.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 11:40 AM

Naples is nice, but surounded by attractions of legendary proportions. Like an easy ferry excursion to Capri, train visit to the palace at Caserta, and of course Pompeii, etc. I would even consider taking the train to Greek temple area of Paestum, and bus back along the Amalfi coast, if carefully planned to get the logistics right.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help!<BR>I definitely want to make an excursion <BR>or two outside Naples. In 1 and 1/2 <BR>days, can I manage to see two among Pompei, Capri, and maybe the Amalfi coast?
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 01:48 AM

I guess the half day is most suited to Pompeii, due to short train ride. Capri (excluding Anacapri) could be tasted in a half day using either the very first or last ferries of the day.<BR><BR>Whatever you leave for the full day could be tentively set up to be a combo. Whether it's Capri, Amalfi, or Pompeii, be sure to include nearby Sorrento. Examples, assuming Capri isn't combined with Pompeii: <BR><BR>Ferry Naples-Capri. Ferry Capri to Positano or Amalfi, returning to Sorrento by coastal bus. Or, if those ferries scarce (likely), ferry to Sorrento then take coastal bus to Positano and back. Train to Naples.<BR><BR>Or train Naples to Pompeii, later onward to Sorrento. Take coastal bus as far as you want, either backtracking or going on to Salerno for train to Naples.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 07:43 AM
GAC

The 6:45 a.m. train from Roma Termini to Naples Mergellina/P.zza Garibaldi is a Eurostar. This means that you will be sold a ticket on a reserved seat basis ONLY. Since you are using a four-day railpass, you should validate it on Monday morning so as not to waste a full day. The ticket windows at Termini should be open before 6 a.m., so validation ought not be a problem. Also, you should not have a problem securing a seat on this train. These Eurostars typically have three rail cars of first class and five or six of second class.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 07:44 AM
GAC

Please disregard this previous posting. It was intended for a different query!