Naples, Italy --> Hvar, Croatia... How?

Feb 15th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Naples, Italy --> Hvar, Croatia... How?

After doing some initial research, this equation seems to have a solution of trains & ferries, or a flight if we want to train to Rome first. A friend and i would like to visit Croatia after a wedding in Capri, and we're trying to figure out the best way to get there while keeping things cost-effective.

It looks like we either take a train to Bari and then a ferry to Dubrovnik, or take a train to Ancona and then a ferry to Split. If Hvar is our intended destination, which of these options makes more sense? And once we find ourselves in either Dubrovnik or Split, what is the best way to reach Hvar? I highly doubt we'd rent a car, so a public transportation option is what I'm looking for.

I've only been to Zagreb, so I have no idea what the lay of the land is in coastal Croatia. Any help on how we can get there from the west coast of Italy is much appreciated!
Feb 15th, 2011, 01:13 PM

You have the options, and if time is more abundant than money, then ferry is the way to go. If time is of the essence, then a flight might be affordable--but you would still likely lose time making connections.
From Dubrovnik, there are pretty much hourly buses to Split. From Split you can get a ferry or catamaran to Hvar. Check http://www.jadrolinija.hr/default.aspx?lang=2
Oh--I forgot, there are some ferries from Italy that may go to Hvar (to the town of Stari Grad)--check some of the ferry sites.
Feb 15th, 2011, 05:00 PM

Aren't there still ferries from Dubrovnik to Hvar as well as from Split?
Feb 16th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Thx to both of you!

I haven't been able to find any ferries at the beginning of June that go from Italy to Stari Grad, but I'm going to check again. Flying is an option as you said from Rome, however, EasyJet doesn't begin that route until July, and Croatia Airlines is pretty expensive being (what I can tell is) the only direct option. That said, the ferry is looking more and more like how we'll have to go.
Feb 16th, 2011, 06:39 AM

Yes of course, but after a ferry from Italy I'd be loathe to get on another long ferry. The bus to Split and then ferry to Hvar is quicker, even if entails being broken up by a look around Split.
Feb 16th, 2011, 06:40 AM

Also, those Dbv-Split ferries are not daily, so it may not be an option.
Feb 16th, 2011, 06:58 AM

Early June is tough--these are likely seasonal, but here are the two lines going to Hvar, just in case:
http://www.traghettiweb.it/en/tw_com...agnia=blueline

http://www.traghettiweb.it/en/tw_com...compagnia=snav
Feb 16th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Thx Yorkshire! That's the issue I was running up against...the June dates. It seems like July is a much more traveled month.

I just put up another thread inquiring about Palermo and Cagliari, as those are much closer and we could fly direct from Capri. Not sure if you have any insight to either of those places, but would love your input if you do. I don't want to waste all of our time traveling from the west coast of Italy to only have two days in Croatia. That doesn't make much sense at all, now, does it?!

Appreciate your help!
Feb 16th, 2011, 07:23 AM

Actually, that is what I was thinking all along--save Croatia for when you can spend a couple weeks there, and enjoy Italy!
Feb 16th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Thx Yorkshire!