Need suggestions for 5 days between Seville/Madrid/San lorenzo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. Thanks to suggestions from this forum, we Are making progress on the planning of our 19 day trip to Spain in June. Now I need suggestions for the last part. Here is what we have so far:

Day 1. Madrid
Day 2. Madrid
Day 3. Barcelona
Day 4. Barcelona
Day 5. Barcelona/peniscola
Day 6-8 peniscola area
Day 9-10. Drive down coast. Stop in small towns. End at Granada
Day 11. Granada to Mijas costa
Day 12-14. Mijas costa... Beaches
Day 14 Seville
day 15-19 ????

From days 15-19 I'll be traveling alone with two kids (11/13). We have friends in San Lorenzo de Escorial so we'd like to spend 2 days near there. They have offered to take us to Segovia for a day. Here is what I'm thinking:
Day 1 Seville/ spend night in Seville. Suggestions??
Day 2. Train to cordoba. Night in cordoba
Day 3. Train to Madrid. Bus to San Lorenzo
Day 4 San Lorenzo
Day 5. Bus from San Lorenzo to Madrid
Day 6 leave Spain

Since I'm traveling alone with 2 kids I'd like to keep this easy and stay in safer areas.

Questions:
Should we do 2 nights in Seville and skip cordoba?
Any suggestions of places to stay? A pool would be great but not necessary. We love friendly places with a local feel and easy to walk to shops and restaurants.
Does anyone know how close the ave station in Madrid (from Seville/cordoba)is from the bus station to San Lorenzo?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 01:47 PM

I'd do two nights in Seville. With the exception of the Mezquita [which is fascinating] I find Cordoba to be somewhat similar to Seville. If you wanted to, you could probably catch Cordoba en route to Madrid. Book Sevilla to Cordoba. Then book Cordoba to Madrid creating for yourself a 4-5 hour layover in Cordoba. Stash your bags i lockers at train station. If it we me, it'd depend on the age of the kids!
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 02:01 PM

agree with weber, at least two nights in plain fantastic Sevilla. This site gives excellent information: http://www.exploreseville.com/
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 08:47 AM

Is there a reason why you're only spending 2 nights in Madrid, 2 nights in Barcelona and 1 in Granada?

You've got alot of 1 and 2-nighters in a somewhat short trip. I'd lengthen the time in Madrid, Barcelona & Granada and spend at least 3-4 nights in Seville.
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your feedback. Cathy, we are using timeshares for Peniscola and Mijas Costa so that will be our beach time with the kids. Although we love cities (and have been to Madrid), for this trip we'd prefer to stay in smaller towns so that's why we are spending less time in Madrid and Barcelona. I like the idea of more time in Seville. Any suggestions for what part of town to stay in?

I didn't realize about the lockers at the train station. Great suggestion? Do all the train stations have lockers? I'm assuming/hoping they fit carry on size luggage.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 02:05 AM

Most tourists stay in or very close to the Santa Cruz district in Sevilla. The Muriilo apartments or hotel would be just perfect:
http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/sevi...urillo.en.html
http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/sevilla/murillo.en.html

I like to stay north of Santa Cruz. All these places are in the more "local" center area just north of Santa Cruz, 10-15 mins walking from the main tourist attractions.

Puerta de Triana: http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/conf...triana.en.html
Vime Corregidor, close to the bohemian Alameda district: http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/vime-corregidor.en.html
Hostal Museo: http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/host...hotel_currency
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 07:43 AM

If you really want to avoid large cities than why visit both Madrid and Barcelona at all? With only 2 days in each of these cities you'll barely have a chance to get acquainted with the area and it may make the cities seem even larger. Given you've been to Madrid before I'd consider spending 4 nights in Barcelona. This would give you a chance to do a daytrip to a smaller town in the region (Tarragona, Girona, Vic, etc...).

Regarding Seville, as kimhe notes most people stay in the very atmospheric Santa Cruz area. It's very pretty but also a little touristy. I personally prefer the El Arenal neighborhood near the bullring. Sevilla is large but has a smaller feel. You could easily spend 4 nights here as a base and do several daytrips if you like. You might also enjoy a couple of days in Sanlucar with the children.

Most train stations no longer have lockers. They've been removed for security purposes. Bus stations often have them though - most are large enought to hold a large suitcase. The lockers at the train station in Cordoba are no more. But the bus station just across the street has lockers.
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 09:44 AM

I agree, 4 nights in Seville, 2 in Granada. And for me the idea of driving from Barcelona would be a drag. It's a very long boring drive.