Naples hotel help

Search

Naples hotel help

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naples hotel help

We will stay in Naples for only the last night of our trip, before our early (8 am) flight home on a Sunday morning. We will be coming up to Naples from Sorrento, and only want to see the Archaeological Museum, eat great pizza and have great desserts before getting an early night's sleep. There are four of us (include two teenagers). Every where else we will have stayed at luxury hotels, but here I just want a clean modern room in a quiet location, easy to get to museum and airport in the morning. Suggestions? And also for the pizza and pastries? Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 12:14 PM
ira

Hi PK,

You might like www.costantinopoli104.com/

Across the Via Costantinopoli, at Piazza Bellini, is the Pizza Bellini. A very good, not expensive, restaurant.

They had an excellent limoncello tart when we were there in 2003.

Also across the street, in the other direction, is a very good bakery and pastry shop.

Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Has anybody stayed at the Hotel Piazza Bellini? Only a couple of reviews on tripadvisor, but they're good ones, and more reasonably priced than Costantinopili.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 12:14 PM

Well, I think I know JUST the place for you, both for hotel, access to the Archaological Museum, and one of the best pizza seafood restaurants in Italy-ALL ON THE SAME STREET. That would be Via Foria, and the Hotel Del Real Orto Botanico, nice rooms, just next to a restaurant that I have recommended many times on this site: "A Figlia Do Marinaro"-it's enough just to see the line on the weekends, where people have to take a number to get a table-FABULOUS specialty-mussels in their broth-never had any better-and their fresh octopus, sliced cold with lemon as an appetizer-fantastic. (I love octopus as it is prepared in Italy-I cannot eat enough of it, I know I've eaten the equivalent of a small octopus such as one finds in the Rialto fish market in Venice-but never, never again in Mexico! That's another story!).

The hotel is located just down the street from the museum, which is on the Via Foria, so it takes about 7 minutes or so to walk up to the museum-and it is a lively area, also not too far-maybe a 15 minute walk to the train station, and quite close to the airport-it took maybe 15 minutes? by taxi to get to the hotel from the airport. Hotel: DEL REAL ORTO BOTANICO, reasonable rates, nice rooms.

http://www.hotelrealortobotanico.it/

Old Sep 4th, 2007, 05:41 AM
ira

Hi PK,

The Hotel Piazza Bellini wasn't there when we were in Naples in 2003.

It could be the renovated Albergo Sansevero, where we stayed.

The location is very good, the prices are quite good, and the rooms look nice.

I'm bookmarking it.

Old Sep 4th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Girlspytravel, the hotel you suggest looks a little more basic in terms of rooms, and is the same price as Piazza Bellini.

The PB has said they will serve us breakfast early (at 6 am) and get us a taxi to leave for airport at 6:30. I suppose on a Sunday morning it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to get to the airport, and that we will be ok for our 8 am Lufthansa flight?
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Pausanias

You may be making a mistake. Naples is one town where it is really worth staying in a luxury hotel, because the general level of hostelry is not that high.

The Excelsior is nice.

Old Sep 4th, 2007, 05:46 PM

Now that I looked at the Costantinopoli, I agree-it looks to be a swell hotel, with swimming pool, even. It's very close to the museum as well-being right there by Piazza Dante. The museum is located on the corner of Via Toledo and Via Foria. At any rate, I strongly urge you to go for lunch or dinner at the restaurant down the street from the museum that I recommended-truly a slice o Neapolitan life, and fantastic pizza and seafood.

As for getting to the airport, you're right, it shouldn't take long at that hour on a Sunday, HOWEVER, are you going on an intra-Europe flight, or trans-Atlantic? You really need to be at the Naples Airport at a minimum 2 hours before your flight for both sorts of flights, and me being me, I like to forestall any problems and get there as early as possible, so I can do some duty-free shopping. I think leaving for the airport at 6:30am is too late, since you'll have to do ticketing, right? Go through passport control AND security-there are a number of flights that go out at that hour, so it could be quite busy. You really need to leave for the airport at 6am.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Pausanias, we will only be in Naples for the afternoon and then leaving early in the morning for our 8 a.m. flight. So I don't think it's worth it to spend a lot for a place to lay our heads down. A swimming pool would be wasted (and we'll have just spent three nights at the Excelsior Vittoria in Sorrento).

I've emailed the Piazza Bellini again about the morning departure. I can probably persuade them to feed us just a little earlier and leave between 6 and 6:15. I will also check with Lufthansa/Air Dolomiti (which we are flying from Naples to Munich).