Name this town in Italy/Austria

Old Dec 29th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Name this town in Italy/Austria

I was looking through some photos that I took years ago and among them were some of a town where we stayed overnight. I want to label it, but can't remember the town's name. I do not see it on any map that I have. Perhaps someone could help.

The town was on the Italy/Austria border - in fact, the border ran right through the town so it was partly in both countries. We had been driving all day through the Dolomites starting in Aviano and going in the direction of Bolzano. We reached the town late in the afternoon, about 5 PM. I recall that in the morning there were busloads of people arriving to go on mountain hikes.

It's funny that although I can't remember the town's name (actually I believe it had 2 names, one Italian and one Austrian) I can remember that we stayed in a hotel called Christina. I'm sure I would recognize the name if I see it.
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 12:54 PM

Is it Prato alle Drava/Winnebach in the Drau valley?
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 01:05 PM

I think your recollection might be inaccurate. Aviano and Bolzano are both well south of the Italian-Austrian border, and almost any town or village in Trentino Alto Adige has an Italian and a German name.

Go to www.viamichelin.com, get a driving route for Aviano to Bolzano and zoom in. You will see the towns in the area; maybe one of the names will ring a bell.
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Zerlina, I am aware of that - I was just trying to give not only a general direction and since I started in Aviano, a time frame as well. I went from Aviano up into the mountains and drove west. After overnighting in that town, I crossed into Austria and drove in the other direction through Austria crossing back into Italy stopping in Trieste for the night. The next day we crossed into what was then Yugoslavia for a visit to Piran. Piran was quite an adventure.

Echnaton, those do not sound right. Thanks though
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 03:41 PM

Have you tried doing google searches for Hotel Christina and Aviano?

One town I came up with was Sappada (Plodn in the local dialect).
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 03:45 PM

Here's some pictures of Sappada and text:

http://www.lifeinitaly.com/tourism/veneto/sappada

and here's a link naming other border towns in the Comelico-Sappada area

http://www.visitdolomites.com/dolomi...o-Sappada.html
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 03:47 PM

and here's the hotel christina in Sappada

http://www.albergocristina.it/En/galleria.htm
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 04:05 PM

Could it be Brenner / Brennero? If you took the Brenner Pass between Italy and Austria, this town is right on the border and does have two names depending on which side of the border you're on.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 04:32 AM

Hi Basingstoke - Really there are only 2 main crossing points between Italy and Austria in the Dolomites/Sud Tirol region.

Of those, only Brenner is a 'town' - with the border through it. But from your route description my guess is that you crossed at Winnebach/Prato alla Drava. Places nearby include San Candido/Innichen, Dobbiaco, Sesto/Sexten, Versiaco ...

Here's a map -
http://maps.google.it/maps?hl=it&tab=wl

Give us more clues. Did you go through Cortina? Did you cross any passes? Where did you visit in Austria the next morning?

Steve
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Steve_James, that's it! The town was Dobbiaco/Tolblach. It still has a Hotel Villa Christina which is where we stayed. Looking at the map, I do not see that the border goes through the town, but both DW and I remember a border checkpoint in the town where we had to show our passports. That was really "back in the days." It is a beautiful place.

Thanks all
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 02:35 AM

I'm curious - what year was this? The border is now several miles east of Dobbiaco. Was it moved? I find it very strange that there was a passport control in Dobbiaco itself ...

Steve
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

SJ - I have no idea if the border was moved but I would guess not. This was in the 70's. There was a passport control though and it does seem unusual. Perhaps someone from that area could shed light on the question.
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 11:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Basingstoke2,

We spent a few hours in Dobbiaco/Toblach this past September. Just to let you know, it's still a very nice town.
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 11:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
>

now you've done the album, how about a trip report?
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Intriguing thought annhig, since the trip was some 30+ years ago. I think I will give it a go, just to test my memory and put some things in a historical context. The TR will be on a separate thread and I will dedicate it to you.
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 09:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
oh, basingstoke, how touching.

you may find it easier than you think - I can remember loads about the 2 week trip that DH and I did over 25 years ago from Venice to Florence, probably more than i can about trips I did 2 or 3 years ago. though i think that I might need a few prompts for hotel and restaurant names, i can still remember where we stayed and even, [oh this is sad] some of what we ate! DH always says that I remember palces by restaurants.

good luck with your "recherche du temps perdu"
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

annhig,if you look on the Europe forum, you will see the start.