Mystery statues in Cologne

Apr 9th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Mystery statues in Cologne

At each end of the Rhine bridge by the Hauptbahnhof, there is a quite imposing sculpture of a mounted soldier wearing what appears to be Roman battle garb (although I don't want to prejudice the issue, because it might also be a medieval knight).

Anybody got an ID on this individual? I couldn't find a local with a clue (including at the TIB).
Apr 9th, 2007, 06:34 AM

Hello RP:

I can't help with the bridge figure, but I'll be in Cologne in September. It sounds as though you were there recently and I am wondering if you have thoughts on local dining spots. Also did you visit museums etc.? Gradyghost
Apr 9th, 2007, 06:39 AM

If it looks "Roman" then it very possibly could be Trajan.
Apr 9th, 2007, 06:43 AM

Aren't there four of them, two at each end?

The Four Hohenzollern Kings/Kaisers who reigned from 1840 to 1918. King Frederick William 4 of Prussia, and the three Kaisers (of Germany), William 1 and 2 and Frederick 3
Apr 9th, 2007, 06:53 AM

Flanner,

are you sure you're talking about the same bridge?
Apr 9th, 2007, 06:59 AM

RP:

Is this a photo of the statue in question?

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/100...8415PTOJCPLpuJ

Gradyghost
Apr 9th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

gradyghost, the best food in Germany (possibly in all of Europe) can be found at Gilden Brauhaus, at the end of a 15-minute U-Bahn ride in suburban Cologne. The sauerbraten is to die for, and the rahmschnitzel (pork cutlet in cream) is heavenly. Gilden is a national brew, and this is one of their taps, so you can enjoy a glass of factory-fresh Kölsch with your meal.

Ride the No 4 U-Bahn (Direction Schlebusch) to Keupstraße, then walk north two or three blocks to the Best Western Consul hotel. Gilden is on the ground floor. www.gilden-brauhaus.de

Worth a trip to Bonn is Bönnsch, just to the southeast of the Stadthaus S-Bahn stop. I tried to eat all of my Brauhausteller (it was so good), but just couldn't manage it. The name of the restaurant and the flagship beverage are derived from the name of a local brew that purports to rival Kölsch, but I haven't tasted one that surpasses Gaffel.

Ride the RE train to Hauptbahnhof Bonn (don't mess with the S-Bahns - they make a million stops), then go downstairs to the S-Bahn platform and take the next No 66 or 67 (Direction Siegburg) and alight at the first stop. www.boennsch.de

Here is the official transit map you get with your Cologne or Bonn WelcomeCard: tinyurl.com/yslyyw. The Card is valid for all modes everywhere within the blue outline.

Don't miss the Chocolate Museum or the Roman-German. Artsy types will appreciate the Ludwig.
Apr 9th, 2007, 07:28 AM

The railway bridge leading out of the Hauptbahhof over to the Koln Messe site - known as the Hohenzollernbrucke - has a pedestrian walkway on the side. There is one King or Kaiser at each end of the walkway, and one King/Kaiser at each end of the train only bit. See http://tinyurl.com/238qlo

I assumed they were Roman the first time too, since the bridge is very handy for the Cologne Roman museum, which can be the perfect antidote to a hard day's shlepping round a trade show. But somewhere on the plinths there's proper attribution.

For a full explanation:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hohenzollernbr%C3%BCcke
Apr 9th, 2007, 07:28 AM

Gradyghost: Try the Gaffelhaus on Lintgasse for a nice meal in friendly surrounding.
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:01 PM

Robespierre and jkr: Thanks for the restaurant suggestions for Cologne.

Robespierre: I'm curious as to whether the photo I found by mere chance (and attached to an earlier reply) is a photo of the mysterious statue. Gradyghost
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Could be, but the closest I got was from the water's edge, so I can't be sure. Look at flanneruk's links and see if you can tell.
Apr 9th, 2007, 01:56 PM

Thanks for the interesting post. I'll be in Cologne (and other parts of Germany) in October.

Gradyghost - I hope you will be posting a trip report when you return from your trip in September. I'll look forward to reading it.

Peace, Robyn >-