Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's outside Rothenburg, Germany to do in September?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 09:48 AM
Bob

Our 2 couples will be in Rothenburg, Germany in September 2003 for our 2nd visit. We'll do the night watchman tour and see some of the sights again, but the wives want to shop & shop & shop again. The 2 husbands would like to take the car out of town perhaps 20-25 miles for several hours to see something different while they shop. <BR>Any suggestions on what to do outside Rothenburg?

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 09:57 AM
no comment

Bob, <BR><BR>Have you ever thought of getting a map of Germany and see what is available in a 20-25 mile circle from Rothenburg.<BR><BR>If you do this, you might be able ask more specific questions.<BR><BR>Otherwise, stop at the first beir garten you see and enjoy!!<BR><BR>no comment

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Linda

I haven't been there myself, but I've been told that Dinkelsbuhl just south of Rothenburg is really beautiful and in some ways nicer than Rothenburg (quieter and less commercial).

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 10:33 AM
Bob

Thank you Linda, <BR>your answer is the type of suggestion I appreciate and consider appropiate for this forum. Being considerate, intelligent, interested in helping others, and observing we must have some some fondness for Rothenburg by visiting a second time, your comments about Dinkelsbuhl are well received. Perhaps instead of staying overnight at Rothenberg again, we'll stay at Dinkelsbuhl based on your kind suggestion. Those who sign messages "[email protected]" must not be able to spell their own name much less know how to read a map themselves. <BR>Thanks again Linda, Bob.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 10:45 AM
mark

Guys,<BR><BR>Just down the street from Rothenburg is the Bierstrasse. This beer street is definitely somewhere I'd go if my wife was planning on doing shopping. There are 7 breweries within 50 kilometers.<BR><BR>It sits between Bamberg and Rothenburg<BR><BR>http://www.bierstrasse.de/english/contact.html<BR><BR>Have fun!!<BR><BR>Mark<BR>

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Joe

Bob: Linda and Mark have provided you with a good day. Hit Dinkelsbuhl in the morning (you'll love this great little village) and while the afternoon away at a couple of breweries. Watch that German beer, however. Take a late afternoon nap if you need it.<BR>You have to just ignore the snakes that insist on spewing their venom on this board. They never add anything positive or helpful; just snide, sarcastic and mean spirited. Used to p... the hell out of me, but I have learned to ignore them; so easy to do, really. There are so many warm, helpful, knowledgeable people on this board. We can't let the losers take charge. Have a great trip.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Gary

Bob, <BR>If you do go to Dinkelsbuhl check out the Blauer Hecht Hotel (Blue Pike) it is really nice and was one of the cheapest places we stayed. If you want to E-mail me I can send you pictures of the Hotel and Dinkelsbuhl.( Go, Go, Go)<BR>Gary

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 04:09 AM
csk

Bob, I hope that I am not too late in getting this to you. My family moved to Frankfurt this spring - I have found "Karen Brown's Charming Inns and Itineraries" books indispensable. The itinerary portion would give you a detailed and "doable" idea of places to see around Rothemburg. You can buy the book for Germany or purchase the itinerary on her web site www.karenbrown.com. I was in Rothemburg in August - charming ! We stayed at the Burg hotel and were pleased. Make sure your hotel provides parking ! Reserve a spot now !<BR>Enjoy Germany !

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 09:48 AM
try

http://www.romanticroad.com/