My Paris apartment rental experience

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought this review of the apartment I rented in Paris would come in helpful for future travelers. This is the weblink to the apartment....

http://www.rentparis.com/appart-en-8.html

I really enjoyed my stay at 22 rue Rambuteau. First, the reservation process with rentparis.com went very smooth, even though I only booked 48 hours in advance and paid via paypal. They helped me with all my questions and send me all the information I needed.

Upon arrival in Paris, I immediately called the Paris agent and he gave me instruction on how to meet him. The hardest part was figuring out the dialing pre-fixes. About a half hour before arriving at the flat I called the agent again to confirm the time. As planned when I was dropped off at 22 rue Rambuteau I was greeted within minutes. I think it was Jean-Pierre? Anyway, he assisted me with my luggage, took me thru the courtyard to the building. He was very friendly and explained everything!

When I walked into the apartment I thought, oh dear. This place is not big but it does look like the pictures. Truthfully I didn't expect it to be big. I will say that within a day I was very use to it and felt at home. By the end of the week I felt like a resident of Paris. In general I loved this apartment and would stay here again, here's why -

-The location is excellent right in the Marais and within walking distance of many sights.
-The neighborhood is excellent. Right outside your door you have a butcher, supermarket, wine store, cheese shop, produce stand, patisseries and boulangeres (plus cafes and bistros). Wake up in the morning and go get a fresh croissant or baguette!
-The washer/dryer combination is great. Carry less clothes! Be sure to get instructions on how to use it, there are a lot of dials in French! The machine doesn't wash huge loads and the clothing can come out quite -wrinkled, but the apartment does have an iron.
-The bathroom has a nice shower and good water pressure.
-The apartment is on the 7th floor and the building has an elevator!
-Even though the apartment is small there are tons of windows and it get a lot of light. The views over the roof tops of Paris are great.
-The building is very quiet, I never heard anyone. The neighbors are friendly and always greet you with a "Bonjour" or Bonsoir".
-The bed is comfortable but if you are use to having 2 people in a queen size bed, be warned! It was nice having a separate bedroom even though it is tiny.
-I took the internet option and it worked great. Note - If you take the internet option you get free calls to the United States or wherever home is!
-I was there in November and the heaters worked great!
-There was a good combo microwave/convection oven. Great for heating things from the market or bread.
-All the utensils and kitchen gadgets you will need are here!
-The refrigerator was tiny but good enough to hold milk, cheese, meats and other French treats.
-What does one do when they run out of toilet paper of other essentials? I just bought it from the market.

The only thing I found as a con to this apartment was that the lighting was bad at night, but that wasn't a big deal. If you think that you want a self catering visit to Paris this is a great place to stay. OK it's not the Ritz, but it was worth a million buck to become a resident of Paris for a week!

Old Dec 11th, 2008, 11:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I'm glad you had a good time. Rue Rambuteau is a good street.
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 01:43 PM

richard,

Thanks for the review. It is always good to hear the verdict! It does look smallish but with all the light it looks quite cozy and comfortable. Hope your stay was a great one, lynda
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 05:15 PM

We have rented from rentparis a couple of times and have always had a good experience!
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 05:23 PM

Richard,

Did you happen to take any pictures of the apartment for your website? The website talks about the views, but they didn't put up any pictures of it.
Old Dec 12th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

I don't have this on a websight. You may be reading my old posting from a few years ago which was the apartment on rue Rivoli. I do have some pics of this one but the ones on the websight are pretty accurate. If anyone wants to see mine I can put them on snapfish or one of those photo websights.
Old Dec 12th, 2008, 06:29 PM

Very interesting.....thanks. I just finished reading Almost French, a memoir of a young woman who moves to Paris and details the huge difference between visiting there and living there. An apartment, as opposed to a hotel, is a way to, at least, make believe you live there!

BTW, thanks also for the great advice you offered when we went to Strasbourg in '04. That was when I first posted on Fodor's and as you see I am still here. I have a particular fondness for those who welcomed me with their helpfulness when I was new and had no idea what to expect here. It has been a great resource to which I hope I am now also a contributor as well as receiver.