Musee de Luxembourg To Be Closed

Dec 22nd, 2009, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Musee de Luxembourg To Be Closed

It appears that after the current Tiffany exhibit ends, the Musee de Luxembourg will be closed. If that is soi it is a great loss. We've always enjoyed the exhibitiuons there in lovely surroundings. Do any of our Paris posters know more about this?

http://www.rue89.com/zoomorama/2009/...xembourg-ferme
Dec 22nd, 2009, 05:36 AM

I'm not a Paris poster but I read the news. It was announced at least a year ago, I believe. I think there were two things going on, according to Le Monde -- one was that the president of the Senat thought it was too expensive and wanted to rededicate efforts to the actual constitutional mission of the Senat.

The other is that there was some problems with the private organization that manages those exhibits, and dissatisfaction with that. I think there were some financial issues regarding depositis and receipts and revenue and maybe even some funny business going on with that private mgt. company getting some favoritism in some ways. I think there were some critical articles written about that situation in the press.
Dec 22nd, 2009, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Patrick, I missed that earlier. Hopefully that means they will eventually be reopening it as a museum
Dec 22nd, 2009, 07:36 AM

Having never been...what sort of permanent/travelling exhibits are there?
Dec 22nd, 2009, 07:55 AM

The only time I went was to a large exhibition on Matisse a few years ago.
Dec 22nd, 2009, 08:18 AM

I don't actually think it's any great loss given how many museums are in Paris. I think I was only there once. The exhibits it does can be done elsewhere.

They do various kinds of fine arts exhibits -- last summer they had one with some Italian Renaissance paintings, now the Tiffany thing. They are small things. Besides, it is the most expensive museum in Paris, I believe (11 euro).
Dec 22nd, 2009, 09:20 AM

Can you visit the whole building? I have an interest in historical Paris buildings, and this is one I was hoping to see one day.