Murren vs Grindewald

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 03:05 PM
Troy

Murren vs Grindewald

Before reading these postings I had decided to go to Murren for four nights in mid September. We are very interested in hiking. After reading the postings, I am wondering if Grindelwald is a better option, as we do enjoy a night cap or a little shopping in the evening. However, I have heard Grindelwald has alot of traffic and is noisy, which is not appealing. Your thoughts on this will be most appreciated. Thanks.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 03:46 PM
Bob C

Grindelwald is not as charming as Murren but we have enjoyed staying there on 3 trips. In fact all 3 times were in September which is a slower month for them. So no traffic problems or noise. Easy drive over to the Lauterbrunnen valley and the towns of Murren and Wengen. My wife has asked for me to start planning a return trip soon. We stayed at the Hotel Cabana, web site: http://www.cabana-grindelwald.ch/e_default.htm

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 04:12 PM
s

Hello Troy,

Well, "a lot of traffic" and "noisy" is relative in this case. Compared to Interlaken, Grindelwald is still quiet and charming. And, as Bob C notes, it's not really high season in Sept.

But having said that, I wonder if you have considered Wengen? Wengen is between Muerren and Grindelwald in both size and convenience and so is a good compromise. It's a bit more upscale then Muerren in terms of shops, and there is a dance-bar place (disco??) in the Hotel Regina there. Wengen also is car-free.

Like Bob C, I usually stay in Grindelwald, but that's because I like that skiing area the best. But when I was there last Aug, I was sorry I didn't stay in Wengen.

s

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 12:29 AM
eric

I'd echo the other replies: Grindelwald is still quaint place - it's got the main street in the village full of shops, etc., but they can come in handy if you want to do some shopping. Otherwise, just beyond the main part of town (we're talking strolling distance, don't worry!), the natural and rustic side of the town is there and you won't be disappointed. There are great hiking areas all around, even a visit to the end of the glacier below the town is a special occassion. Otherwise, definitely think about Wengen - sits up on a plateau above Lauterbrunnen; access it by small train and there are no cars (!) in the village. The village is quite a bit smaller than Grindelwald, but it's got shops, etc., and sometimes a more limited and quaint place is all the more interesting. There are two interesting hotels I've stayed in - one on the far side of the village, in the style of the Belle Epoch/English period, sort of like an elegant dormitory, unfortunately the name escapes me (there is an undercurrent of English tourism in Wengen, since the English were largely responsible for creating alpine tourism...). There's also Hotel Caprice, not far from the train station - ask for a room with a view to the Jungfrau ("Jungfraublick"), on a sunny morning you will be estatic. From Wengen there are hiking trails as well, mostly ascending toward the Kleine Scheidegg - if you are in good shape, this hike is a MUST. If you prefer flat terrain, take the train up to Kl. Scheidegg and walk along the Mannlichen. Or, take the train down to Lauterbrunnen, take another train up the other side of the valley, then walk along the mountain to Murren. Anyway, sorry for the length, but who can stop talking or writing when the subject's the Swiss Alps...!

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 01:39 AM
lol

Why does no one ever suggest staying in Lauterbrunnen ?

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 07:36 AM
Rita

Dear Troy
I'm with the last poster - consider Lauterbrunnen. Our family of 4 (2 adults & 2 kids ages 10 & 7) stayed 4 days in Lauterbrunnen. We rented a 2-bedroom apartment with balcony for 59 SFR per night. It was wonderful! Quiet (except for a bird that insisted on singing his lungs out at 4am each morning!). We were 5 minutes from the train station which had connections to Interlaken, Wengen, Murren, etc. So convenient. We took the Jungfrau ride (via Wengen) the 1st day, went to Murren for hiking the 2nd day & rode into Interlaken (about 15 minutes) for the final day. Lauterbrunnen doesn't have much night life, but there are a few hotels with bars & singing. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay - seeing the magnificent Eiger right off the balcony & being so close to connections everywhere was perfect for us.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 07:39 AM
Rita

Correction!
The cost of the apartment was 98 SFR/night which worked out to about $59/night USD. Sorry about that!

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Ingo

Rita, I would like to know how you managed to see the Eiger from Lauterbrunnen ...

Seriously, I have stayed in Lauterbrunnen, too. I chose it because of its central location and very convenient train connections to all the sights/hiking paths in this region.

On the other hand, it is settled on the valley floor with high mountains to both sides - the views are quite limited. And the other villages - Grindelwald, too, in my opinion - have more charm.

Don't worry about traffic and noise in Grindelwald. If you do not choose a hotel or apartment right on the main street it will be quiet.

Ingo

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Claudia

I'd opt for Murren (or Wengen) over Grindelwald. A lot less touristy and more scenic in my opinion.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Rita

OK-maybe it wasn't the Eiger, but there WERE high peaks with lots of snow! Our balcony faced east (we could see Wengen up on the hill to our front-left) and we could indeed see snow-capped mountain peaks off to our front-right). Whether it was specifically Eiger, Jungfrau, etc. I don't know - I only know the peaks were in the direction that the train to Jungfrau had taken us.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 12:20 PM
Ingo

Rita, I guess it was the Jungfrau itself which you have seen. Very impressive, indeed, especially in the evening (sunset) when the color of the snow fields turns from white over yellow to red ... magical.

Ingo

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Rita

Ingo - the mountains WERE lovely! Both with the sunlight sparkling on them and with mist at times. We were even fortunate enough to see them with a double rainbow over them during a thunderstorm! Our photographs probably won't turn out, but it was magnificent. Wish we had scenes like that back in Wisconsin!

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 11:09 AM
mbln74a

What I want to know is the name of the apt or who to contact regarding that apt. Sounds like my budget...
Thanks for your help on that.
Linda

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 11:51 AM
Troy

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate your thoughts and recommendations.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 12:34 PM
Ingo

Linda, I am not really sure what APT means. I guess it is the Italian word for Tourist Office. (something like Associazione Promozione Turistico ???)

You should check following websites:
http://www.wengen-muerren.ch/flash/intro-de-lauterbrunnen.html
www.berneroberland.ch

Ingo

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 10:17 AM
mbln74a

Hi Ingo, sorry, apt is the abbreviation for apartment...I'm interested in the name of the place you book so cheaply in Lauterbrunnen.
Thanks. Linda

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 11:59 AM
Rita

Dear Linda
The "apartment" is actually located in a Swiss home - the owners live downstairs and they rent out 2 separate apartments. We chose the "East" apartment. Their web site (in German or English) is www.anton-graf.ch

We were really happy with the accommodations - not plush, but comfortable. The owners (Toni and wife Margrit) were helpful & friendly. Margrit even let me use her wash machine to catch up on laundry! Unfortunately, they don't have a dryer so I had to dry things the old-fashioned way - via hanging outside! Anyway, I highly recommend Familie Graf's home in Lauterbrunnen.