Murren in January

Search

Murren in January

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2008, 02:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Murren in January

Is 3 nights too long to spend in Murren in January? We don't ski and have only seen a little bit of snow once! We are looking for a winter wonderland experience, happy to walk and look at the views. We will be travelling on to Basel to catch the TGV to Paris. I'm wondering if we should cut short the Murren stay by 1 night instead of trying to do the Murren - Paris trip in one day. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 04:07 AM

I've been to Muerren several times on ski trips, but have never stayed there overnight. It's a great place for a winter wonderland experience but small and very, very quiet. I think two nights would be plenty unless you're really looking for isolation. Be sure to take the tram up to the Schilthorn when you're there.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 04:53 AM

I have stayed in Murren a few times. More often 1 night than 2 nighs each time, in winter and in summer. I agree with Flyfish. You don't ski. Depending on the time of your arrival, 1 to 2 nights would be fine.

And if the weather is on your side, you can sit at a terrace at Almendhubel (get there by 2-minute funicular) under the sun and enjoy hot wine or hot chocolate.

Like this (January 2005)
http://picasaweb.google.ch/kappa341003/Murren2005

You can also take the ropeway to Schilthorn too.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

thank you flyfish and kappa for your replies. We will be coming from Luzern and will be there just before noon. We plan on going up to the Shiltorn (hopefully the weather is good) I agree 2 nights should be ample. Could you recommend a stay somewhere on the way to our TGV connection. It doesn't need to be Basel. Would the train trip toward Montreux be more scenic and we could connect through Lausanne?

Old Aug 11th, 2008, 05:28 AM

Berne is on the way to Basel.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 06:09 AM

Sorry, can't help with a place to stay. The times that I've been we've taken the train from the Zurich airport through Berne, about a 3-hour trip.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 06:32 AM

Have you considered Wengen instead of Murren. It is more expensive, but still a car free zone with a bit more happening. If you're looking for a nice quiet place however Murren is it and it's beautiful, but 2 nights max. Are you hoping to add on to your paris stay? Or thinking of a one night stay along the way? Bern is a great town for that. Basel is not more than a place to pass through if a tourist IMO. Strasbourg would be another great place for a stop and there is a TGV to Paris from there as well.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. We did consider Wengen, but saw that the big ski race is on and thought it might be best avoided. I love the look of Murren but have to admit, I am a little worried how small it is. We are booked in Lucerne for the 10th and 11th Jan. Then we wanted an alps experience. I'm still working on the plan. We fly out of Paris on the 21st. I do like the idea of going to Strasbourg. Would the Murren - Strasbourg journey be too much to tackle in one day? Perhaps we could have 2 nights there. I think the 1 night stays become tiresome, with luggage etc. I'd like to have 5 - 6 nights in Paris.All suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 02:46 PM

We took the TGV from Paris to Geneva, then the train to Lauterbrunnen (at the base of Wengen and Murren)a few years ago, and it was a gorgeous, relaxing trip, easily doable in one day. I really can't see why you'd need to spend a night on the way. And Lauterbrunnen is also a fabulous place to stay, with stunning vistas of the surrounding mountains.
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 07:18 AM

> the big ski race is on and thought it might be best avoided ..

That's the famous (at least locally) Lauberhorn Downhill race. You are right, it would be hard to find an available hotel or if there are, very expensive in Wengen (and even at Lauterbrunnen I doubt). Actually a few photos in above album were taken between Kleine Schiedegg and Wengen at the time of Lauberhorn race. We sledged & made a very pleasant walk on that snow covered route that sunny day.

Murren - Strasbourg seems about 4,5 hrs with 3 changes, easily doable. I would advise to take a direct TGV from Basel to Paris if you were not interested in a stop at Strasbourg. You would leave around noon and in 6,5hrs, you will be at Paris-Est.
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 09:32 AM

I would only fit in Strasbourg if you plan to spend the night before heading to Paris. It is too much to attempt it as a stop over on your way to Paris from Murren. Strasbourg could fill a few days, but even over night you'll be able to see a lot. I don't know your budget but the Best Western Metropole in Strasbourg is within easy walking distance of the train station and only about a 7 - 10 minute walk to the center of things in Strasbourg.