Reload this Page >

1st time in switz.; need hotel/town advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 06:54 AM
liz

Thanks for your help on Italy. Now, we are off to Switzerland for the 1st time! <BR><BR>We would like to go in the Winter. Any thoughts on Nov., Dec., Jan.?<BR><BR>For 2 weeks we are thinking about:<BR>Lucerne - 2/3 nts<BR>Wengen - 2/3 nts.<BR>Zermatt - 2/3 nts. <BR>take Glacier Express to St. Moritz - 2/3 nts.?<BR>Palm Express to Lugano - 2/3 nts. <BR><BR>1. Any suggestions on hotels under $100, $150 or $200- clean, warm and nice are appreciated. <BR><BR>2. Suggestions on length of stay, towns to hit and alternatives are also needed? <BR><BR>3. Can we do all of this by train? Car?<BR>We want it to be easy. <BR><BR>4. From Wengen, can we take day trips by train? <BR>5. Do you like Wengen? Murren? Grindewald best?<BR><BR>Thank you!!! Your postings have helped me to plan thus far!

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 07:19 AM
chris

Nov, Dec., and Jan. are the worst 3 months of the year for visiting Switzerland-cold, damp, and most likely cloudy/foggy so views are unlikely.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 07:22 AM
Ronda

I was in Murren this summer and it was very quiet, however, I was told that during the winter the place fills with English skiers so could be quite busy. You might think about planning your stay in this area during the week and perhaps there won't be as many people there. <BR><BR>Everyone has their opinion as to which place is best in the Berner Oberland. There have been major discussions here already so you might find loads of info in you do a search. <BR><BR>If it was me, I would spend a week in the Berner Oberland but I have no idea what it will be like in Winter. We liked Murren and Wengen but perhaps in Winter Lauterbrunnen might be easier (fewer train connections to get &quot;home&quot. Do love to be up in the mountains though.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 08:26 AM
Jan

Oh, Chris, Come on!!!;-) I love Dec. in Switzerland. The Christmas cheer is here, the snow is in the mountains and there is a 'crispness' to the air. Yep...this year Nov. was horrible and Dec. weatherwise isn't shaping up much better, but the lights are twinkling and people are smiling. We had some great views when we went UP. The only months I don't recommend is Feb (unless it's Fasnacht) and maybe November.<BR><BR>Of course, yesterday, I was researching the Canary Islands for a getaway in late Dec.....<BR><BR>Cheers,<BR>Jan

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 08:38 AM
xxx

If those are the only 3 months you have to travel, then go in January. Why? November is too late in the Fall (stuff in villages will be closed); December is generally gray; and January is crisp and cold. But assume you're hardy folks, right?<BR><BR>Then: would almost suggest you cut down your 3 villages (Wengen, Zermatt and St. Moritz) to 2, so you can enjoy them for slightly more time each. Also, forget St. Moritz, it's snobby and glitz. However, do try to make that &quot;Engadin&quot; area; instead, choose Sils Maria or Pontresina for villages. Finally, if you're concerned about having enough snow, then drop Wengen (but it is a great little village...!). <BR><BR>However, if you do go to Wengen and can organize your trip properly and book way in advance, try staying there for the Lauberhorn Downhill Ski race, it's in January and is an incredible experience. If you stay in Wengen for a longer length of time, you can easily visit Murren and Grindelwald, they're in neighboring valleys.<BR><BR>Any 3-star hotel you'll find will be fine. Have stayed in Hotel Caprice (Wengen)and Hotel Julen (Zermatt), both excellent, both 3-4 star.<BR><BR>P.S. Train is fine. Just don't end up taking lots of luggage. And two things to either pack with you or buy there: a sort of face-protector against the wind; and &quot;chains&quot; you can attach to the soles of your shoes or boots, prevents any unnecessary slipping. Bought these at a shoestore in Arosa when recuperating from an operation and I could walk on the small, snow covered and icy roads without a problem!<BR><BR><BR><BR> <BR><BR>

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 03:59 PM
Mathias

It's easy to do this trip by train. Check outh the schedules at<BR> <BR>http://www.rail.ch/pv/index_e.htm<BR><BR>The Palm-Express-Bus from the Engadin valley to Lugano runs only on Fri/Sat/Sun in winter!<BR><BR>The best ticket for you may be a Swiss Flexi Pass. (http://www.rail.ch/pv/incoming_e.htm)<BR><BR>Of course you can do a lot of day trips from Wengen. Within one hour or so, you'll reach the Jungfraujoch (Top of Europe), M&uuml;rren, Grindelwald, Interlaken.<BR><BR>