Last minute Switzerland trip, need help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2004, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My girlfriend and I are planning a last minute 6-day trip to Switzerland. We are fairly certain we want to go to the Jungfrau area. Which town in that area do you recommend for first timers in Switzerland? Another problem is we have no idea what to expect in terms of cost. Are there good places to stay for 100 dollars US/ 122 Swiss francs? If not what should a good place cost? How expensive is an average dinner at a restaurant there? What pitfalls should we be on the lookout for? What attractions should we not miss?
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 07:05 AM
ira

Hi
Have you looked at the mini guide to Switzerland on www.fodors.com.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 07:46 AM

Hi,

My wife and I were in the Jungfrau region for a week in the summer of 2002.

We stayed in Wengen, which was beautiful in the summer, and will no doubt be great (albeit different) in Winter.

I believe it is currently the peak skiing season in the Berner Oberland so most places should be busy.

Interlaken has a good selection of hotels, although you are not up in the mountains which was the best part of the trip for us.

Food and drink are expensive. We were staying half board so didn't really eat out much, but we found wine expensive even compared to the inflated restaurant prices in the UK.

In terms of attractions I would recommend the trip to the top of the Jungfrau, quite expensive but worth it imho. The Schilthorn is also worth doing - but only if you have clear weather (and you probably only need to one of Jungfrau or Schilthorn).

We really enjoyed the Trummelbach falls, and a day trip to Bern is interesting.

Have a look at http://www.myswitzerland.com/ for more info, and the website of the Swiss railways (which are unbelievably good) is : http://www.rail.ch/index_e.htm

Have fun.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 08:08 AM

Hi randg,

Most folks here like one of these three mountain villages: Muerren, Wengen, & Grindelwald. I've stayed in Wengen once and Grindelwald three times. I can tell you that Grindelwald is larger -- more touristy but also more hotel choices and better bargains. Wengen is smaller and more picturesque, with fewer hotels; it's also a car-free town. I've never stayed in Muerren (skied through it a few times), but it is also a car-free town, smaller than Wengen, and more remote.

One frequent poster here likes to stay in Lauterbrunnen, not exactly a mountain village but maybe a mountain-side village that is well situated for transportation all over the Jungfrau.

Personally, for first-timers, I'd recommend Wengen. But as January -February are the ski season, you may have trouble finding a room. When, exactly, are you going? This weekend? Next? Mid-February? There is a major ski race in Wengen the week of 15 January, and I think schools are out for "sports holiday" around 14-22 Feb -- resorts will be packed. You may want to plan around those dates.

Your best bet for an economical rate is to get a package deal that includes half-board (breakfast and dinner) as well as a ski pass or a hiking pass. But these will be about 1,000-1,500 chf per person for seven nights. Check out the offerings at www.wengen.ch (for Wengen and Muerren and, I think, Lauterbrunnen) or www.grindelwald.ch. At the Grindelwald site, be sure to check out the last-minute offerings.

Let me know if I can help further.

s
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 08:34 AM

I am not experienced with the Berner Oberland in the winter, but I have spend weeks there over several summers.

There are 4 major places to stay with a view of the mountains. Two places, Wengen and Mürren, are reached by cable lift and/or train. No private cars drive there.

Lauterbrunnen is on the floor of the valley and offers the advantage of being a transportation hub. Hotel prices there are usually a little cheaper, but you must check each one to make sure what you are getting. (Generalizations are dangerous.)

Grindelwald is the largest of the villages. I have never stayed overnight there.

The Hotel Crystal in Lauterbrunnen is ok price wise for a clean place. It runs 91€ per room for each of 2 nights during high season. High season is listed as February and Fasching and weekends.

In January and March the rooms are a little cheaper Sunday through Thursday.
A good restaurant is associated with the hotel. I have eaten there but don't recall the exact prices. They were ok; not exorbitant and the food was good. As I recall we paid about 25 chf, less than $20, per person. That did not include drinks.

You can check with the hotel directly via email. Go to the Lauterbrunnen site, http://www.lauterbrunnen.ch/
Click on the white cross with the red background. Then click on English on the next screen, unless you prefer German. Then you can browse the various places. The hotels always list prices, BUT make sure you are aware that prices are sometimes per person per room per night and other times they are per room per night, with minimum stays.

The Silberhorn Hotel runs a little higher, like 107 € nightly. It is also a little nicer hotel.

BUT!! I have not used any hotel in that region overnight. I have stayed in others elsewhere that are highly similar.

I cannot answer your question on what not to miss because I am not a winter visitor. Trömmelbach Fälle are a marvel. The Schilthorn is a pricey trip but beautiful. The Jungfraujoch is even more expensive and certainly to be avoided on a cloudy day because you cannot see much.

Your views of the Alps from Mürren are world class. For a short stay, you might want to consider going there.