Munich Subway

Dec 19th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Munich Subway

I am looking at some city centre accommodations for my little vacation to Munich in March and I was wondering what time the Subway starts up for trips from the center of Munich to the airport? My flight leaves at 6:30 and I like to give myself plenty of time. Thanks in advance.
Dec 19th, 2007, 02:48 PM

Looks like 3:18 am is the first train from the Hauptbahnfof to the airport, so that should get to the airport right about 4am.

Here is a link if you need to look up other things:

http://www.mvv-muenchen.de/en/index.html
Dec 19th, 2007, 03:00 PM

Not trying to be extra smart, but you won't take the Underground to the airport but the S-Bahn (suburban rail). Both systems have underground stations at Munich Central, the subways are signed with a capital "U" for underground, the suburban trains with an "S".

Depending on what airline you will fly, you can save lots of time at the airport when you use self-service luggage drop-off (though only for Star Alliance flights available - I think).
Dec 19th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. It looks like I will have no problem getting to the airport on time. No worries Cowboy1968 on the extra smart stuff, I am always up for more information, but it looks like I won't be able to use the airport information as I am flying KLM (I am a Skyteam guy) and I am looking only to go with hand luggage (online check in is my best friend). Now the real question might have is "why would anyone want to get to the airport that early?" Well I am a bit of an airplane nerd so I like to give myself a little extra time.
Dec 20th, 2007, 01:19 AM

Plane spotter, huh?

Just beware that Munich Airport has no 24hrs operations. There are usually no flights arriving or departing before 6 a.m.

The observation mound is open 24hrs - with coin-operated turnstiles (€1 fee). But to get there you have to get off the train one stop before the airport at "Besucherpark". It's somewhat of a hike (10-15min) to the Visitors Center which is located near the observation mound (the Center still closed that early in the morning). But you can take a footpath from the observation mound to Terminal 1 (another 15min) where your KLM flight will depart.
That footpath leads alongside the fences of the apron area of T1 - so there is usually a good chance to spot some parked aircrafts close to the fence - often with somewhat exotic liveries.

Expect the airport to be very quiet in the early morning hours. No shops open, except maybe the newsstand. Shopping behind security is also not exciting in T1.
Dec 20th, 2007, 01:28 AM

I've taken the S-Bahn early to the airport a couple of times. As I recall it took between 30-45 minutes to actually get there depending on the line (S-1 or S-8).
Dec 20th, 2007, 03:43 AM

It is a good idea to go by S-Bahn, because a taxi to the airport can cost over 60 Euros.

But make sure you are near an S-Bahn stop (like Marienplatz, Hauptbahnhof etc), as I don't think the ordinary subway (U-bahn) opens that early. There are busses that run all night, but you might as well be near an S-Bahn stop if you are going to be in the center.

One other note is that if you are traveling with others, there is a great deal E 18 for up to 5 people traveling together. And if you are coming from the airport, you can travel all five people the whole day anywhere in the system without paying anything more.

Just came back, and the Christkindlmarkt was great. Also, although the Hofbrauhaus is touristy, there are still at least 30% locals, and it is great fun and atmosphere. We ate at the brewhouse restaurants, (like Paulaner, Lowenbrau, and Augustiner) and the food was copious and delicious. Not for those on a diet,those watching cholesterol, or vegans though...Rouss
Dec 24th, 2007, 04:13 PM

That 18 Euro partner ticket is good until 0600 the next day. So, if you have an early morning flight, you can take advantage of it all the previous day.