Reload this Page >

munich airport departure after staying in Garmisch Partenkirchen

Old Oct 9th, 2018, 09:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
Our April/May trip is all planned and booked thanks to your help. I have read numerous posts about staying in the city of the airport departure on the night before flights due to risks of train delays, etc. In the past we have always taken the risk as we have not been concerned about missing flights, etc.

However, this is the first time we will be flying out of Munich airport so don't know how busy it is. We have had long visits to Munich on previous trips and we only have four nights in Garmisch Partenkirchen and are hoping not to lose a night by moving to Munich.

Our flight is at 3.30pm (Emirates) and we are lucky to be flying first class so hopefully will have shorter queues to check in, etc. Our ticket includes a chauffeur pick up from any hotel or the Munich train station to the airport. Would it be too risky to catch the 8.07 train which arrives in Munich at 9.07? We could also skip the driver pick up and stay on the train till the airport.

Thank you for your advice.
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 12:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I do not understand how you think you can "stay on the train" to the airport UNLESS that train you are on is an S-Bahn train. You would have to change trains somewhere I would assume. Anyway, arriving at the main train station at 9:07 with a driver waiting there would give you plenty of time to get to the airport in my previous experience.
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 01:22 AM
Original Poster

Hello Dukey,
Thank you for replying. Sorry I meant that we could use trains all the way to the airport. We would need to change to the S Bahn.
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 01:22 AM

Hi jinx,

I agree with Dukey1 above; I think you'll be ok. With an international flight leaving at 15.30, I would want to be at the airport at 12.00. So you have plenty of time.

What day would this be? It takes the S Bahn 45 minutes to get from the main station to the airport. It can be quicker driving because you don't have all the stops, or it can be slower driving because of traffic and traffic jams. If this is a weekday morning, you may need around two hours for the trip, just in case. But you have that.

Yes, you have to change trains at the main station to get to the airport from Garmisch if taking trains all the way.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 04:43 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
No problem with that departure. We only stay in Munich if it is an early morning departure. Have fun.
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 06:14 AM

It looks to me like you're going to have about 5 hours at the airport! I hope you have lounge access.
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 07:02 AM

We have used cabs from downtown Munich as well as the S-Bahn (BOTH lines) to get to the airport. As I recall the roadway out to MUC is an autobahn type of situation. It seems hard to imagine that trip taking two hours by car but I suppose anything can happen.

If it were me and with THAT much time I would simply use the S-Bahn and you can easily change to it at the main rail station.
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 07:12 AM

Dukey1, the ring road around Munich is infamous for traffic jams. It's certainly possible that there would be no problems and no delays ....but it's just as possible that there can be. One time I took a Flixbus on this route, and it was delayed for over an hour. A friend took the Flixbus on the route, and it was 45 minutes late, and she almost missed her flight. So that is why I asked about what day. On weekend mornings it's more likely to be clear.

I live south of Munich, and that ring road is just notorious.

s

Last edited by swandav2000; Oct 10th, 2018 at 07:15 AM.
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 07:57 AM

As I already said: "anything CAN happen"
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 08:23 AM

Well, "anything can happen" sounds like an unusual or rare situation. These delays happen with stunning regularity, turning "can happen" into "likely will happen."

The bold makes it seem you are shouting at me.

s
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 12:43 PM

If taking train use the Bavarian ticket which gives unlimited regional and S-Bahn travel throughout Bavarian for a day - should be cheaper than two tickets and you use the same trains. Buy it at station in Garmisch.
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 09:18 PM

Actually, the Werdenfels ticket may be the better option for travel between Garmisch and Munich and Munich airport -- there are no time restrictions, and it is a few € cheaper.

Here is a page with information on this, but I haven't been able to find the page in English. You can translate it using google's translation tools. Important info -- 22 € for the 1st person, and 6€ for each added person. You can buy it with the DB app, online, or at the machines at the train station. You can also buy it at the ticket counter, but that will add a few € service charge that would negate any savings.

https://www.bahn.de/p/view/angebot/r...rdenfels.shtml

Have fun!

s
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 09:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the advice - we have decided to use trains all the way.

We are early risers so I am wondering if it would be feasible to catch the 7.02am train arriving in Munich at 8.26am? We have used the lockers at Munich station before and I was thinking we could have a few hours stroll and breakfast before catching the S Bahn train at 11.23am.
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 10:58 PM

Hi again jinx,

Yes, that's a good idea! You'll be happy for the chance to stretch your legs before a long flight.

Just one note -- there is a brewery right at the airport, between terminal 1 and terminal 2, before security. The food is standard Bavarian, pretty good but nothing special. They have an outdoor beer garden. So you may want to get to the airport at around 11.00 or 11.30 and have a last brew and/lunch there before going through security. I did this the last time I flew -- got checked in and checked my suitcase, then had an early lunch at the Airbrau, then went through security.

https://www.munich-airport.de/en/mic...eume/index.jsp

Have fun!

s
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 12:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Swandav, for the great advice.
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 05:50 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
What a great suggestion swandav - I've added Airbrau to my notes for our last day in Munich - that outdoor beer garden might be a bit cold when we're there though (December)