Munich Residenz: How Much Time?

Feb 20th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Munich Residenz: How Much Time?

How much time should one allocate for the Residenz to get a good overview for the first time?

We are in Munich for a short amount of time, but want to plan accordingly.
Feb 20th, 2008, 01:13 PM

3 hours, including the treasure chamber, is minimum IMHO. Meaning half a day because afterwards you'll be exhausted and all you'll want is a lunch or coffee break.
Feb 25th, 2008, 09:15 AM

How much do you like museums? We only needed about two hours there before heading over to Englischergarten, but I could see a serious history buff spending half a day.
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:06 AM

If you like super ornate architecture and design, definitely a full half day. If it's just to say you've been there, then 2 hours tops.
Feb 25th, 2008, 01:03 PM

The first time I was there, I spent about 4 hours in the apartments side plus another hour in the Treasures. I just went back with my husband and did everything in 2 hours - he was not as into it as I was. I think a half day should do if you are rushed for time. Have a great time - it's on of my favourite places I've been.
Feb 25th, 2008, 02:15 PM

I wasn't impressed. The single thing that I did find impressive was the jewel-encrusted statuette of St. George.

I'd been expecting a really dazzling Residenz like the one in Würzburg. Maybe I missed a turn somewhere, but I didn't think much of it.
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:19 AM

Pegon, I totally agree with you. Wurzburg, while not quite as big, was much more impressive. I liked the city more than Munich too. And the wine!
Feb 26th, 2008, 11:24 AM

We have been to Munich a number of times and it wasn't till about the 5th time that we took the time to go to the Residence. It is really on the second or third tier of my interest level. We did enjoy seeing the treasurey with the Wittlesbach crown jewels.

I found the Nymphenburg Palace and their coachhouse much more interesting. The Deutsches Museum is also a hit with us but waaaaay to much to do on one trip. They have about 10 miles of exhibits so you should choose the sections that interest you.

Other things that are on the first tier for us are ... Marienplatz, Hofbrauhaus, Alte Pater Kirche, Viktualien Markt, Asam Kirche, Frauen Kirche and our traditional stop for dinner at the Augustiner Restaurant in the fussganger zone. Depending on the time of year the Englisher Garten is also nice if the weather is cooperating. If you are into art museums you should visit the three Pinakoteks.

How much is a "short time"?
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:02 PM

On Tripadvisor I already expressed my lukewarm opinion of the Residenz. I would just add that I too really liked Asam and Frauen Kirchen (churches) Their interiors are very different but equally impressive. In the same area as the two churches is the Augustiner Restaurant also mentioned, good beer and good food.

Regards, Gary
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:22 PM

Depending on the time of day that you are there, you will only see certain rooms. I think the tour changes around noon. The palace tour took us about two hours. I agree with Pegontheroad, I wasn't very impressed by the Residenz. Don't miss the Treasury, though, it was definitely worth it. I think it's because it was all rebuilt after the war. We definitely liked Nymphenburg and Amalienburg better. If the weather is nice do not skip the Englisher Garten.

If you plan on visiting a lot of palaces on your trip look into the Bavaria Palace pass at: http://www.schloesser.bayern.de/
Feb 26th, 2008, 02:35 PM

I agree with the others. It is a function of your interests. I got tired of seeing rich people's possessions after about 90 minutes.

As said earlier, if you are a history buff who dotes on the Wittelsbach largess, then by all means go and spend the two or three hours it might take you.

It is a good activity on a rainy day, or a miserably cold and windy day.

Given that you have a short time in Munich, there are other activities against which you must weigh your priorities.

I enjoyed the Alte Pinakothek and the Glyptothek. The latter has Greek and Roman sculptures of which I have limited knowledge and, therefore, found them interesting.

The former is a well known art museum.

Of course if art of the classic style and sculpture has limited interest for you, then look elsewhere. Munich is a great shopping city, if you have the € to partake of some really ritzy clothes.