Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How much time did you spend on your Dachau visit? (Munich)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2006, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I missed Dachau last time we were in Munich and it is on my must visit list for this summer. We plan to arrive as it opens. How much time should we plan to be there? This will determine how many nights we spend in Munich. If it is an all day affair, we will add an extra day. If we might be back into the city by 1:00 or 2:00, then we'll be good to go.
Thanks for your input!
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 06:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Now, this is from many moons ago for me, but I recall the visit, including the time to and from Munich, takes about 4 hours to see everything.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 07:08 AM

Dachau itself consists of at least one large building which house the so-called "museum" with many photographs (some huge) which depicts camp life, etc. In one of these rooms there are photographs of some of the horrors which interness underwent and then you suddenly realize that those photographs were taken in the very room in which you are standing.

There are, as I recall, reconstructiions of at least one of the barracks buildings, if not two. There is also a crematorium open to view and various memorials.

I would plan on spending at least two-four hours on-site depending on your visit pace.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 08:04 AM

Great question .. I was wondering the same thing for my upcoming visit to Dachau.

TXgalinaGA, I also missed Dachau the last time I was Munich as it was a Monday and it was closed. I'm not sure if it was a holiday or if Dachau is always closed on Mondays. I will have to look into that.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 08:07 AM

I have been to Dachau twice, both times for about 2 hours each, and still feel like I haven't spent enough time there or seen everything. I would give yourself 4 plus hours to make sure you can take it all in at your own pace.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 08:24 AM

Unlike Auschwitz, which really warrants an entire day due to its many museums and two large, separate locations, Dachau can be visited and seen, as others have said, in a few hours. If you arrive in the morning, you'll have no problem getting back to the city center by early afternoon.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 10:55 AM

We spent about 2-1/2 hours at Dachau, plus travel time to and from Munich.

Woody
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 11:43 AM

I stayed very briefly (~2hours). At the time, I was disturbed by graffiti on the reconstructed barracks (in languages I didn't understand- I was worried about what it might say) and by the fact that most of the signage in the museum was not in English. I found that strange given the number of english speakers who visit. Hopefully it has changed.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 11:48 AM

Please, please make sure you do some research on Dachau before you go. As much information, pics, etc. as they have, there is much that they don't mention.

For example: When the US Army liberated Dachau, there were several train cars full of dead prisoners, stacked on top of each other, who had been transported live from prison to prison looking for room. They ended up back in Dachau and by that time they were dead. When the US Army came in and saw that, they were so enraged they lined up the remaining SS troops and machined gun them. Needless to say, Eisenhower was not happy and put a stop to that.

The railroad tracks are on the right as you come in. Like I said, do some research.

When you get back to Munich, go to a beer garden and get back in a happy mood. Dachau is a MUST see.

Curious
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 11:50 AM

Agree with all the posts regarding 2-4 hours, and with the advice of Curious about 1) doing research in advance of the visit and 2) visiting a beer garden on your return to Munich.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 08:58 PM

Dachau Visit
We visited Dachau in April 2005 with a guide.

We met the guide at the train station in Munich and he took us around the camp.

You can take much more in if you have somebody telling you the behind the scenes information as well as reading the provided info.

It was brilliant and worth the reasonably small amount we paid.

Old Jan 26th, 2006, 09:18 PM

flagging
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 01:21 AM

Dachau is a nice city with a a history of more than 1200 years. The concentration camp was the darkest part of this history for 12 years. It is unfair to relate Dachau only with the KZ, because it is more than that. If you like castles you shold visit Schloß Dachau with it's beautiful garden and view to Munich.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 05:03 AM

We visited on a dark, cold day, spent three hours, and I can still feel the weight.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Mark0912- how did you arrange for the guide? If it is a reasonable price, that might be something we would be interested in.
Thanks!