Reload this Page >

Munich public transportation options

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Julie

I read Fodor's information on the options available for buying public transportation tickets in Munich. I am a little confused. I will be in Munich on my own (as in not on a tour)with one other adult and a 10 year old child for 3 days. It appears that we have two options for buying the tickets. One is the Tageskarte ticket which is a one day pass for all of us and the other option is the Welcome card which is a 3 day card that only covers the 2 adults but also has 50% reduction in price to many museums.<BR><BR>Please let me know whether the Welcome card also covers the child or is a 3 person welcome card available or do children get to ride public transit free?<BR><BR>For those who have visited Munich and used the public transportation system, what do you think is the best option for my situation.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Paige

Kids don't ride for free but their tickets are cheaper. I'm not familiar with the Welcome Pass, sorry! Museums aren't too expensive here anyway so I'm not sure how worthy 50% off would be. Where all do you plan to go?

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 01:04 PM
notsure

The welcome card is the way to go! You will get free admission to most places and free transportation. You won't regret getting it - very convenient. Check out the Munich city web site and that should give you prices for the child as well. Do they have a family card? I can't remember, check on that, that could be your solution.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Dick Yeager

Julie,<BR><BR>Here is the Munich website:<BR><BR>http://www.muenchen-tourist.de/englisch/index_e.htm<BR><BR>Dick

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 06:58 AM
Manny

Julie,<BR><BR>The Welcome card - 3 day-Single and Partner is offered. The partner ticket is valid for up to five adults (two children from 6 to 14 years count as one adult). The 3 day ticket includes the ride to Munich International Airport valid on the day of arrival and the day of departure. I personally could not find a Tourist information office at the Munich Airport to make the purchase there but they say one is there.I would suggest you go for the partner ticket. You can get all this info at the web site mentioned above. Hope this helps.<BR>Manny

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 10:40 AM
jjj

The tourist information counter in the Munich airport, is right where you enter the escelator for the S. Just tell them where you are staying and what you want to see and they will fix you up. Depending on how far out of the city you need to travel, you may be better off with a regular MVV ticket instead of the Welcome card.<BR><BR>We got our extended ring ticket to Dachau, 2 tickets to Fussen and transport within the 4 inner rings for the 6 days we were there for 68.5 Euro.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 10:49 AM
jjj

Just for reference the Welcome cards we would have needed for 6 days with airport would have cost us 76 Euros and we would have still had to buy additional train tickets to Fussen (Neuschwanstein).