Going to Scotland..suggestions?

Oct 26th, 2002, 07:24 PM
Karin

Going to Scotland..suggestions?

I am going to Inverness, Scotland and doing a self drive tour in June 2003 and would appreciate any suggestions on B/B's, Self-catering, site seeing, how was the driving, etc...
Thank you

Oct 26th, 2002, 07:45 PM
janis

Need much more info - How many days? You are getting to Inverness from where? What types of things are you interested in seeing? Why Inverness?

Oct 27th, 2002, 02:49 AM
Sheila

I'm not very good at B&Bs, but if you can give an indication of where you're going, and what you like I can do small hotels and sights.

Self catering doesn't really work for one or two night stays.

Oct 27th, 2002, 07:17 AM
Karin

I am going for 14 days. Why Inverness? Because my main interest is the Highlands. I am starting from there and leaving from Glasgow. I really want to see the castles and standing stones, churches etc... Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks again to everyone who responds.

Oct 27th, 2002, 08:07 AM
stve

If you are staying 14 days, then you might want to do self catering for a week if there are 3 or more. I would do the b&b route if there were just 1 or 2 of you.

Lots of great things to see. My favorite place in Scotland is Threave Castle, sw of Glasgow

Oct 27th, 2002, 08:31 AM
Maira

June in the Western Highlands in Scotland....WOW! I was blown away by its sheer beauty. Don't miss a drive along Loch Lommond, even arrange to stay somewhere near its shore. Fort William was interesting and would recommend you explore. Inverness has grown quite a bit; my husband first visited in 1992 and when he took me in 1998, he could not believed how much it had grown. We drove from London, which some people consider a foolish drive, but I was in heaven. We bought the Great Britain A-Z Road Atlas depicting very detailed info on sights along the route and just drove and stop for about a week. The driving was really good, the roads were in great shape and very well posted (to the credit of Tony Stellarosa who is a Transportation engineer in Scotland; Hi Tony & Emily!!)We really enjoyed the area; Urquhart Castle, Cawdor Castle, Inverness Castle, Site of the Battle of Culloden, Stuart Castle, Inverary, Glencoe, so much to see. Have fun planning!!

Oct 28th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Cindy

Karin:

We spent four weeks in Scotland in July, and words can't describe it! We LOVED it! The memory that I go back to the most is Luskentyre Beach on Harris -- phenomenal. This huge white sand beach with huge sand dunes and turquoise waters, and islands in the background. Also this four mile long beach on Berneray (north of North Uist), and Barra, and Mull, and Iona. And Skye, where we spent five nights in a self-catering place, Taigh na Traon (they have a website). It's up past Uig, and is just magical! In other words, if you have time, head for an island! AND, Glencoe was SO pretty. Also LOVED Edinburgh. We stayed at B&Bs on Harris (Mrs. Morrison, Seilebost), North Uist (Mrs. Kathy Simpson), and Mull (Calgary Farmhouse) -- I would recommend them all. I don't check this site a lot now that my trip's over, but you can e-mail me if you want the details. And we also stayed at the Isle of Barra Hotel, I think that was the name, overlooking the most wonderful beach. Ahhhh! I miss it so much!

Oct 28th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Cindy

Karin:

I forgot to mention: we stayed at Barcaldine Castle a little north of Oban, and loved it. It's really small, just one or two bedrooms, but very interesting, also very kid-friendly, which was nice for us. They have a webpage. We also stayed at Castle Venlaw in Peebles, and enjoyed it, though it was more expensive. Also, if you're in Oban, you can hike up to the castle that overlooks the town. It's all crumbly, with warnings everywhere, so you obviously have to be careful, but it's interesting. Also, near Fort William, the ruins of Inverlochy Castle are wonderful. It would be a fun place to picnic. And Duntulm Castle ruins in Skye -- the view is just so wonderful. While we enjoyed visiting the well-preserved castles in Stirling and Edinburgh, and also Dunvegan in Skye (and Warwick in England, and some others that I'm probably forgetting), we enjoyed the ruins even more (of course, I have two boys, and they love to climb!) Oh, yes, and if you make it to Barra, Kisimul Castle in the bay. And if you make it to Lewis, by all means, visit the Callanish standing stones, and Garry Beach, which is north of Stornaway, and has the most wonderful sea stacks. Can you tell that I'm missing it all? Okay, I'm going to stop now.