Munich Train/Ticketing Info

Aug 20th, 2003, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Munich Train/Ticketing Info

Greetings!

I will be traveling to Munich (for Oktoberfest) in September. I will be taking the S-Bahn from Munich Airport to the Hauptbahnhof. I have a few questions regarding details on how I should go about purchasing tickets. Thanks in advance for your replies!

(1) Do I purchase tickets at a manned-booth or machine, and do I have to then have them validated somewhere or give to railway attendant onboard?
(2) If tickets are purchased at a machine, is the machine relatively easy to operate (do I select arrival/departure stations, or are tickets purchased by zones/areas traveled?)
(3) If tickets are purchased by zones/areas ? anyone know what I would need to purchase in order to get from the airport to the Hauptbahnhof?
(4) At the airport, can I purchase tickets in advance for my return trip from the Hauptbahnhof?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aug 20th, 2003, 11:54 AM
ira

Hi

The following website was set up for convention travellers. It might help you

http://www11.informatik.tu-muenchen....00/travel.html
Aug 20th, 2003, 03:50 PM
Intrepid

I believe there are ticket machines at the airport for the S-Bahn..if you don't get the info you need at the website Ira gave you you can probably ask at the information counter at the airport as a last resort. There are zones but I think you'll be able to figure out the appropriate fare using the machine.
If you are going to be using public transport while you are in Munich I think you might want to consider purchasing one of the Munich Welcome Cards which provides unlimited use of trams, S and U-Bahn trains..the cost of the card depends on how many zones you choose as I recall. It also comes with a very easy to understand transport map. Some of the major tram lines converge in front of the Bahnhof (right across from the hotel) and you can get anywhere on the S/U Bahn lines from the Bahnhof station (lower level) You can check all that out with the concierge (very helpful I might add) at LeMeridien once you arrive. Further, if you do purchase a Welcome Card it includes the S-Bahn ride back to the airport on your last day. Have a great trip!

Aug 21st, 2003, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to you all for the info. It was very helpful!
Aug 21st, 2003, 08:24 AM

There's an information desk at the airport right before you go down the escallators to get on the S-Bahn. We bought our tickets to Munich from them. They speak English!!

You can also buy a strip of 10 tickets. There's a machine that you just punch the time/date prior to getting on board the U-bahn.

Have an Augustiner Keller for me.
Aug 22nd, 2003, 09:36 AM

Sandy, My buddy and I will be going to Oktoberfest as well, so thank you for asking these questions b/c they helped me as well. Were you able to find accommidations in Munich?
Aug 26th, 2003, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we booked our hotel reservations last year! We're staying at the Munich Le Meridien, right near the Hauptbahnhof.

Thanks everyone for your posts!