Munich or Zurich

Search

Munich or Zurich

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich or Zurich

I am traveling with my family (8 total, ages 17 and up) to Salzburg in August for 4 days. We wanted to see another city for 3-5 days either before or after, and were thinking of either Munich or Zurich. Different types of places from what I can determine, but they both caught our eye. We've been to Prague and Vienna, so wanted to try something different. Any opinions?
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 07:12 PM

Haven't been to Zurich but I could live in Munich. The main square, Marienplatz, is fun and there are many eating establishments. You can day trip to Dachau (very interesting) or Nymphenburg Palace outside Munich.

Also, walking thru the Englisher Gardens is lovely while passing many sites. The Victualien Markt (Victuals Market)is very colorful. And, a good stop for coffee.

I used Rick Steves' Germany book and the restaurant choices did not fail.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 02:43 AM

Hi Rayfischer,

I wonder if you've already checked the connections to both cities? Salzburg to Munich is quick, about two hours by train. Salzburg to Zurich is not -- it's about six hours by train. Will that have an impact on your decision?

s
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 02:52 AM

The area between Salzburg and Munich is full of sights and attractions - lots of castles (Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau, Linderhof), baroque churches (Wieskirche), nice towns (Bad Reichenhall) and spectacular mountains.
So, stay in the area, drive around (by rental car or by bus tour) and visit Munich!
Munich has a charming historic old town, residential palaces, excellent museums, famous beer halls, restaurants of all categories - just everything you want. It will be different after you stay in small-town Salzburg.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 03:01 AM

Haven't been to Zurich, but I've heard there's not really that much to do, and it's really expensive, while I have been to Munich (briefly, though I'll be back for a longer time soon), and it's got plenty of stuff to do for 3-5 days.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips everybody! Looks like Munich is it. I'd love to drive, but I'd need two vehicles (at least) to get that crew around, so we'll train it. Now, off to plan it! Thansk again.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 06:51 PM

With a bunch of people you may want to look into the Bavaria Pass that includes Salzburg. In Munich you can enjoy the Deutsches Museum (Science Museum) the old and new art gallaries, Englisher garten, Nymphenburg Palace, the Residence, and a few great beer halls in between. You can also easily side trip to Neuschwanstein, Dachau and other locations around Munich.