Munich in October

Aug 16th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Munich in October

I am thinking about 9 days in Germany from OCt 8-16. I punched in Oct 11-13 for Munich on Expedia and the prices were really high. I put in the following week and they were much lower. Isn't Oktoberfest over on Oct 3. What is going on in Munich the week of Oct 10th?
Aug 16th, 2005, 01:08 PM
aggiemom

Tigger - it might be the weekend versus weekday price difference in hotels and/or flights.

This happened to me when I was playing around with Expedia. They tend to average out the hotel price per day, but it could vary from say $200 on Sunday but go up to $250 on Monday. That could account for the difference as well as flights. Flights can sometimes be cheaper on Monday, Tues and Wed.

Aug 16th, 2005, 01:55 PM

Here are some of the hotels that were recommended to us in Munich....we ended up at the Condor and it was clean, convenient and friendly, with a great breakfast.

www.hotel-condor.de
www.hotel-uhland.de
www.hotel-stpaul.de
Aug 16th, 2005, 03:00 PM

I don't know what's going on in Munich on the 10th, but you might try this web site: www.hrs.de. It is helpful and might have some exclusive web fares available. Good luck.
Aug 17th, 2005, 06:38 AM

The Hotel Uhland is Ok but is located over by the Octoberfest grounds so it is a bit of a walk. For a better location try the Hotel Amba right by the train station.
Aug 17th, 2005, 08:04 AM

The period immediately following Oktoberfest is still high demand because many visitors (especially from overseas) will often start their vacation with Oktoberfest and then stay on in Munich or Bavaria for a week or two.
Aug 17th, 2005, 08:14 AM

Our favorite is the Drei Lowen and the near by Drei Lowen Residence near the train station. They are 3* and I think Le Meredian which is on the next block is a 4*.

We have also done the priclien thing and stayed at the Schwabing Marriott. It is not right at the downtown are but not far from the U-bahn station.

You can also check hotels on Octopustravel.com. They aren't always the cheapest but they do show pictures of the hotels and give you a range of what is available.
Aug 17th, 2005, 09:55 AM

If you really want a bargain for Munich, you might try Priceline. We are going a bit later in October than you and we got the La Meridian for $80/night. If you are going to use Priceline, you might also trying looking over biddingfortravel.com to learn the ins and outs of Priceline.