Search

Munich Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2004, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich Hotels

Happy Thanksgiving to all..I am in need of some recommendations for a hotel in Munich. I will be there for 5 nights and will have my family with me (2 adults, 2 children ages 12 and 16) If possible we would like to have one room near City Center. Does anyone have a good recommendation?
Old Nov 25th, 2004, 06:17 AM
hsv

Would help to know which price range you're looking at.
If you don't rule out an upscale hotel that offers a good value, I like the Le Meridien. They offer quite good rates usually and are located right opposite Central Station. The neighborhood isn't anything to write home about, but it's as central as you want to be. The hotel is pretty new (approx. 2 years) and modern.

Even closer to the pedestrian zone in the City Center and thus in a nicer area, there are such places as the Bayerischer Hof, the Kempinski Vier Jahreszeiten in Maximilianstr. and the Mandarin Oriental. But they do come at a price.
Another option in that area would be the sort of local rustic style Platzl Hotel which is in a good location for walking, shopping and seeing the sights, but which does not break the bank. It is of three to four star standard, I suppose.
If you are driving, you might particularly consider the Marriott. It is in a residential neighborhood/ business district in Schwabing close to the Englischer Garten and the Autobahn. They have ample parking in a garage and some curbside parking available, too. In order to get into the city, you can take a subway train from there which will only take a few minutes.
The hotel itself is a fine 4 star, typically reliable Marriott. Rooms are spacious and they have an indoor pool (not the rooms, the hotel...;-) ). Rates are resonable usually, too.

To get an overview of rates and other hotel options, check

http://www.hrs.de

In the left column it says "30 languages" - you can choose English there.
Old Nov 25th, 2004, 06:56 AM
rex

Here's a recommendation - - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...h_Bavaria.html - - I have only "previewed" it, and we ended up deciding on a slightly more upscale, less central place, at twice the price.

As you will read, there is quite a spectrum of commentary on this hotel. The proprietor made a very favorable impression on me on my walkthrough.

Stating your desired budget target would help others make recommendations to/for you.

Old Nov 25th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to the respondents who made recoomendations. The price range we are trying to stay under is $200-$250.00/night, of course the lower the better.
Old Nov 25th, 2004, 09:58 AM

Check at www.biddingfortravel.com for Munich hotels that Priceline uses. Study bidding techniques on BFT before bidding. I have no connection with either site. I researched Munich hotels for a trip we took in October, but we ended up staying with friends instead.
Old Nov 25th, 2004, 10:13 AM

Here is the list of Munich hotels by area from the Munich tourist office. Many have links to their web site which I strongly recommend for doing your own research.

http://www.muenchen-tourist.de/englisch/index_e.htm

Curious
Old Nov 25th, 2004, 10:17 AM
rex

The phrase &quot;the lower the better&quot; is one of those tricky expressions, because you probably don't really mean it. Would a $40 room <i>really</i> suit you? Or an $80 room - - that is the equivalent of one twice the price - - but 15 miles away from the center, and not convenient to any public transportation?

I am not criticizing your use of the expression - - but pointing out to you and others, that to advise you is always a tricky matter, and involves reading your mind on what is more important and what is less important.
Old Nov 25th, 2004, 10:31 AM
hsv

Tablet,

200.- to 250.- US$ seems very reasonable. It should get you a comfy four star room with two roll-aways for the kids easily.
For that price range I stick to my recommendations of the Le Meridien and the Marriott.
It might not be sufficient for the cream of the crop places like the Bayrischer Hof or the Mandarin.
You might also try the City Hilton. It does not have a pool, but otherwise fares pretty well with American travellers. Its location atop a Subway stop and approx. 10 walking minutes from the Deutsches Museum is excellent, too.
I guess my preference would be the Le Meridien with the City Hilton on second place and then the Marriott. Although the latter two are basically a tie.
Old Nov 25th, 2004, 10:36 AM

Check out OctopusTravel.com to get an idea of the range of hotels available. They don't always have the very best prices but they will help your shopping with their pictures and maps. Then you can decide for yourself what might be suitable. Eurocheepo.com and pretty good reviews to let you know about the various hotels.
Old Nov 25th, 2004, 04:48 PM

We stayed at the Le Meridien in Munich which I would highly recommend. Nice hotel, across from the train station, and very helpful staff. Also a good swimming pool. We enjoyed Herties Departmnet store down the street which has a very good cafeteria.
Old Nov 26th, 2004, 03:18 AM

The LeMeridien often comes up on &quot;discount&quot; hotel sites such as Utell and hotel.discount