Hotel Herzog Munich

Old Feb 6th, 2003, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Hotel Herzog Munich

Can anyone comment on Hotel Herzog Munich? I can get a rate of $70 per nights with the fourth night free.

Here is the description I have:
# Stay at the Hotel Herzog Munich in the heart of the city by the Goetheplatz within walking distance of the Hauptbahnhof (main train station), the Marienplatz for great shopping and the Sendlinger Tor.

It also mentions that ther is an underground station adjacent to the hotel.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 10:02 AM

I am not a great fan of its location - immediate surroundings are from memory a bit drab (saw an aparment nearby) and closer to Hbf is pretty crap. But then some bits nearby, like Beethovenplatz is quite nice. I would not say it was the heart of Munich - it is a bit off centre. I would think 15 mins walk to station. 2 stops from Marienplatz (4 mins no more) on Ubahn which comes at worst every 10 minutes from Goetheplatz ubahn. Hotel looks OK on internet, with modern, clean looking rooms. So overall OK price probably. If you are lucky it will be a nice bit of the street, unlucky it will be tedious 60s blocks.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 11:55 AM

Actually not a bad location. On a parkway 1-1/2 blocks from subway station at Sendlinger Tor (one stop from the bahnhof) and perhaps 3-4 blocks from Karls Platz. Only draw back is apparently no restaurant, though there is one across the street at a sister hotel "Der Tannenbaum".
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 11:26 PM
dga

mrwunrfl
I will be spending 5 days in Munich in March.
Could you please advise me how you obtained such a low rate?
Did you use bidding for travel or contact the hotel directly?
If you have an E-mail number of your contact I would be most appreciative.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 05:48 AM
JN

Actually, there are two hotels with the name "Herzog" in them. The Herzog Wilhelm is near Sendlingtor and is owned by the same people who run the hotel/restaurant Der Tannebaum. The Herzog is in another part of Munich and may be the one mrwnrfl is referring to.

The Munich Tourism office has "munich key" weekend specials (generally Fri/Sat/Sun nites) that include a hotel room and three day transportation passes. Hotels like the Herzog and Wilhelm Herzog are in category 2, which costs around 89E/nt for a double. Try this website: http://www.muenchen-tourist.de/englisch/schluessel/muenchen-schluessel-einleitung_e.htm

Based on previous posters, Priceline rooms at fancier hotels can be gotten for even cheaper--though they seem rather far away from the Altstadt.