Notices

Munich Hotels

Jan 4th, 2014, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Munich Hotels

I am hoping to get some suggestions for hotels in Munich for September. I'd like to keep the cost at or below $250 American dollars per night (for two). I'd like to be Close to the city center, or train stations if outside of the center. Only "musts" are private bath and clean.
Jan 4th, 2014, 05:37 PM

That price gets you a pretty high level hotel where in my experience you don't need to worry about it being clean (and private baths are standard for anything but hostels).

The only exception is the time of a trade fair when prices go way up but even then you should get a clean hotel room with a bath for 250 USD.

Personally I really like the Meridien directly opposite the main rail station but I tend to be in Munich mainly for business or visiting friends, so I don't care to be very close to the tourist sites. I like the convenience of being 50 meters away from the station in a very good hotel. But I think it's easy to get anywhere via subway.

The area is a little seedy but in my opinion safe.

A good site for German hotels in www.hrs.de if you want to check prices.
Jan 5th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

It's surprising how expensive the hotels are that time of year. It wasn't my intention to spend quite that much, but I'm not seeing a lot of places with good reviews for less.
Jan 5th, 2014, 11:23 AM

Oktoberfest begins Sept. 20. Will you be there during that time? Hotel prices increase dramatically then.
Jan 5th, 2014, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Our dates in Munich are September 17-20th. So we're on the edge!
Jan 5th, 2014, 05:10 PM

That is most likely what is causing the high rates. I just checked Marriott Courtyard City Center with check-in on Sept 3 for 3 nights, it was 199 euros per night. Check-in on the 17th for 3 nights jumps to 299 euros per night.
Jan 5th, 2014, 07:30 PM

We really liked the Platzl, just a block off the Marienplatz and within walking distance of the food market and much more.
Jan 5th, 2014, 07:53 PM

Here's my TA review of Leimar Hof, :FWIW:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...a.html#REVIEWS
Jan 6th, 2014, 04:22 AM

Hotel Uhland is also a good bet but as it's very close to the site of the Octoberfest it may well be booked up. I've stayed in the Laimer Hof and found it excellent.
Jan 6th, 2014, 07:02 AM

We just stayed in Hotel Daniel and location was perfect. Rooms were large. Not seedy at all.
Jan 6th, 2014, 08:56 AM

Our favorite hotel in Munich is the Kempinski but prices are very high that time of year.

During last Oktoberfest we stayed at the King's Hotel First Class and it was good. They have a sister hotel called just King's Hotel. I looked on the First Class website for your dates and they have rooms in your budget for Sept.17-19. The rate goes up on the 19.
The hotel is very nice and in an excellent location. There is an "adult entertainment" club across the street but it was very quiet.

Make sure when you look at hotel rates you can see the rate for each day.
Jan 6th, 2014, 09:36 AM

We also stayed at the Meridian. So easy to get off the train and your hotel is in sight.

Its been a few years, but I would say the walk to the old town is no more than 15 minutes.
Jan 6th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions. I had looked into a few of these hotels and they were already booked. Hard to believe, so far in advance. I guess it's the whole Octoberfest situation. I do like the king's hotels and may do that. I am currently holding a reservation at the Mercure Munchen Altstadt. Anyone know anything about that hotel? I found it on Booking.

Search this Thread