Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Munich/Amsterdam/Paris by train (Please Help)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2004, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have information or links to various fare rates for traveling from Munich to Amsterdam to Paris?

I've been told that you must purchase Rail Europe, EuroRail passes (supposedly the cheapest way to go) from the States. You apparently can't purchase them while in Europe.

We're only going to be there for 5-6 days.

Thanks,
Spartacus_33 ;-)
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 08:08 AM

if you're only going to three cities then a rail pass is a waste of money - buy individual tickets. Also, since it's such a short period of time - fly between the cities, it's faster and cheaper. Check out www.whichbudget.com to find airlines that fly between your cities - if you book early enough you can get super deals.
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 08:09 AM

I love to take trains in Europe, but I don't love them enough to sit on them for almost 2 full days in a 6 day vacation.

You need to visit www.whichbudget.com to see what you can fly between the cities.

Actually what you really need to do is cut at least one of your destinations from your 6 day trip.
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 08:10 AM
ira

Hi spartacus.

You can buy tickets from Munich to Amsterdam at the German National Rail site
http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

You can buy tickets from Amsterdam to Paris at the French National Rail site

http://makeashorterlink.com/?O6D8533F2

To see if a railpass will save you money, go to www.railsaver.com.

>We're only going to be there for 5-6 days.<

Is there a reason why you are trying to do 3 cities in 6 days?

Old Dec 30th, 2004, 08:10 AM

if you do choose rail, try www.sncf.com (french rail tickets) or www.bahn.de (german rail tickets)
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 08:11 AM

For train schedules see www.bahn.de

If Munich-Paris is the only train trip you will be taking, you are probably better of just buying a point-to-point ticket at the station or some travel bureu in Munich. There is a website which compares train costs for a given itinerary, advising you which is the most economical way www.railsaver.com

I would also look into whether there is a discount airline flight from Munich to Paris. Don't know the website that will tell you, but I am sure there is someone out in Fodor land who knows.
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

I'm actually doing a European Delivery of a BMW in Munich in late February. Plan A is to drive from Munich to Paris via Fussen and Wurzburg.

If the weather is bad when I arrive, Plan B is to take the train instead so that we can still "see" Germany. I guess I don't have to go to Amsterdam... and could go straight to Paris.

Does anyone know if the train goes through the Romantic Road area and maybe stops off at Rothenburg?

Thanks,
Spartacus_33 ;-)
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 08:52 AM
ira

>Does anyone know if the train goes through the Romantic Road area and maybe stops off at Rothenburg?<

If you go to

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

You will find all of the intermediate stops.
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 09:05 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
While it's true you need to purchase the various rail passes in the U.S. before your trip, I'm not sure they will be cost effective for what you describe.

I agree with other posters that there's no way I'd attempt to do all that by train in only 5-6 days! Truly you might want to check some rail time tables.

Have you done a Europe trip before? I ask because some folks seem to overlook basic logistics (i.e., the last day and on some itineraries the 1st may be consumed with getting to/from the airport & each time you change cities takes time to check out of hotel, transport to train station, long train ride, transport to next hotel, check in, etc.
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your input. links and suggestions.

Ira,
"Is there a reason why you are trying to do 3 cities in 6 days?". I've read that the most common mistake when going to Europe is trying to do too much in one trip. I may be making that same mistake. Initially I was (and still may) planning to drive.

Suze,
"Have you done a Europe trip before?"
No, I've never done Europe before. This probably isn't a good time to see it, but I was in a hurry to get the car.

I may just skip Amsterdam and go straight to Paris.

I'm getting to Munich on a Monday afternoon and leaving Paris (back to the states) on Sunday morning.

I was thinking:
Munich Mon-Tues night
Rothenburg Wed. night
Amsterdam Thursday night
Paris Friday-Saturday night

I'd really like to do the Romantic Road and stay in Rothenburg if the train stops there.... maybe skip Amsterdam, need to do more homework.

I don't leave until Feb. 20th.

Thanks again,
Spartacus_33 ;-)
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 02:18 PM
ira

Hi spartacus,

www.viamichelin.com and www.mappy.com will give you suggested motor routes.

Old Dec 30th, 2004, 02:27 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I didn't mean anything bad by asking if you'd been to Europe before. I just didn't want to carry on lecturing about how you were attempting a near impossible amount of train travel and distances in a very short timeframe, if this was something you'd done before successfully and enjoyed!
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 02:42 PM

The train from Munich to Rothenburg takes three to four hours, and two to three changes of trains. From there to, say, Frankfurt is another two or three changes. Some of the connections are by bus. I'd drive it, but not train it.
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 06:45 PM

I was thinking of flying from Paris to Berlin in February (have since changed my mind) but the fare in September and October from Orly to Berlin was about $50 round trip then on EasyJet. Also BMI flies around Europe. When I've checked the major airlines for flights within Europe, the price is horrible!