Europe by Rail in June

Search

Europe by Rail in June

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Europe by Rail in June

Looking to travel Europe in June for 14-16 days. Planning to do the trip via railway. Not sure when I will ever get back so I am trying to squeeze in as much in my first trip. Thinking of trying to do Amsterdam, Munich, Rome, Venice, Florence (maybe 2 of the 3), and Paris.

Is this too much?

We are thinking of trying to do 2 of the 3 Italian sites (Rome, Venice and Florence)... Any suggestions on which of the thre not to see (Tough I know).

Any information on hotels, sites, insiders ideas, etc would be so much appreciated.

J
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Also-- information on how long it takes to go between cities in that order (Amsterdam, Munich, Rome, Venice Florence and Paris). Not sure of the order of the Italian sites, but most timely order wuld be best.

Thanks again,

J
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 09:21 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Right off, I'll suggest you book your plane ticket open-jaw so you don't have to backtrack or go in a circle on the train (i.e., fly into Amsterdam and out of Rome).

I'd skip Munich (personally) and do Amsterdam, Paris, Venice, Florence, and Rome, in that order. That's plenty fast-paced but do-able in 2 weeks imo.

You might want to look into budget flights or overnight trains for the longest distances (Paris to Venice, for example).
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 09:31 AM

You can look at train schedules on-line. I like the German website, www.bahn.de

It covers all the countries you mentioned, and is available in English.

To answer your first question, yes, it is too much. You've got a lot of cities (and ground) to cover. I would suggest skipping one of the non-Italian cities---maybe skip Amsterdam and fly into Paris and out of Rome. Or, if you are already flying into Amsterdam, skip either Paris or Munich (either one can be on-route from Amsterdam to Italy, but to visit both adds a good bit of extra travel time). And then consider choosing two of the three cities in Italy. Four cities would be doable in this amount of time.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Anything more would be helpful. Why not Munich? Seems like a fun city. Trust me when I say that we do not intend to spend the majority of our trip in museums or shopping (not that that is bad). Additional info is welcome!
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 08:38 AM

Suze will have to answer that one. I like Munich a lot, and I think that it is a more approachable city for a short stay (2 or 3 nights, which is all you will have anywhere) than Paris would be.

Once you decide on your cities, you can get lots of recommendations on where to stay and what to see in each.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

You guys are great.... thanks so much.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again--- More info?
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 06:09 AM
ira

Hi J,

5 cities in 15 days is pushing it.

>Not sure when I will ever get back ...<

So what? Europe will be there when you do go back.

May I suggest that you spend 2 weeks in Italy?

Fly into Venice and out of Rome.

You can find almost all rail schedules at www.bahn.de

You can buy Amstdm/Munich, Munich/Venice on that site.

Within Italy use www.trenitalia.com

For Rome/Paris use Trenitalia or see www.whichbudget.com for cheap flights.

Old Feb 19th, 2007, 08:17 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Oh sorry, nothing personal, as I have never been to Munich. I thought it was the most out-of-the-way on your route? (but could be wrong).

I was only looking to streamline by eliminating at lesat one of the cities. I was keeping Amsterdam, Paris, and Venice all only because I have actually been to them and loved 'em!
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again.... Right now looking at trying to fly out on a Thursday into Amsterdam. Two days in Amsterdam. Three in Munich, Venice and Florence, and 4 in Paris... at least thats the plan..... : )
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 09:28 AM

Sounds like your best pass would be a Eurail Select Pass good in Benelux, Germany, Austria and Italy (have to go thru bit of Austria from Munich-Italy). If that's the case there is a special on these passes if bought before the end of Mar, 2007 - on a six-day or longer pass you get one extra day free - about a $50 value. These passes can be activated anytime within six months after issue so you could use the special free day pass in June. For any railpasses i always advise BETS (800-441-2387) for their expertise and lack of fees on most orders; www.budgeteuropetravel.com (request their superb free European Rail Planning guide on this site). You may find good info also at www.ricksteves.com and www.euraide.com