Purchasing train tickets

Old Apr 26th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Purchasing train tickets

I am going to be in Europe for my honeymoon later this year and am confused as to how to buy rail tickets. We are going to be in Amsterdam for a few days, then Prague and ending at Munich for Oktoberfest. What is the best way to do this? I dont see a Eurorail pass that seams to fit this and I cannot find anything that helps me buy point to point tickets. Has anyone ever done these routes or have any suggestions as to websites to try?

Thanks
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 07:59 AM

Well there is a railpass that would be perfect for that trip - the fairly new Benelux-Germany railpass that would cover all trains in Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany, up to the Czech border - where fares to Prague are a pittance. For info on the pass i always recommend calling BETS (800-441-2387; www.budgeteuropetravel.com - ask for their free European Planning & Rail Guide to get a great understanding of the rail systems in these countries. www.ricksteves.com also has good info and ideas on rail travel and passes in this area.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 08:05 AM

It doesn't sound like you need a pass, unless you are doing a lot of other trips you haven't told us about. In all honesty, I'd go to a travel agent in Amsterdam the first day you arrive and let them book your tickets. Unless you're doing some night trains and want to be assured of sleeping quarters, you'll be fine waiting until then to get them. You could also go to the Amsterdam train station and get them if you don't mind waiting a few hours -- that seemed to be par for the course for international advance tickets.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 09:20 AM

I have to agree with NeoPat. Unless there are some other trips outside cities, a pass won't pay. Two BeneGerm twin passes would cost $466 in 2nd class. The connecting tickets from the German border to Prague and back would cost €29 ($39) - if you could buy them from the conductor as you entered the CR. Otherwise to get that price, you would have to get off the train at the border, buy the tickets, and wait for the next train. Or, for about $31 more, you could buy the border to Prague tickets in Munich from German Rail and the Praque to border tickets in Praque.

On the other hand, CityNightLine (www.cityNightLine.ch) runs one of the nicest night trains in Europe from Amsterdam (~8:30 PM) to Munich (~7 AM). If you can commit early to a non-refundable SparNight ticket, it will cost the two of you €198 in a double compartment (full fare €278 for two). With that you save a night's hotel somewhere and get another day for sightseeing.

When you get to Munich you can get a Praq-Spezial-Ticket (http://www.bahn.de/regional/view/bay..._spezial.shtml)
from Munich to Prague and back for €59 per person RT.

So for €316 ($430), less a night's hotel cost, you can go from Amsterdam to Prague via Munich and back to Munich.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 11:16 AM

go to www.bahn.de and get exact fares for your tickets and take Larry's info into account and it's easy to see whether the pass is good for you or not.

And ICN trains can now be booked up to 180 days in advance, unlike the 60 day standard on most trains
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 09:55 AM

Don't go to Amsterdam Centraal station cuz as New Pat says you could wait hours in line. Rather do it at Schiphol Airport as soon as you get off the plane at the airport train station international ticket window where there will at most a few folks in line - buy the Amsterdam to Prague ticket there and others in Germany - or ahead of time on the bahn.de site.