Train from Munich to Prague

Feb 11th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Train from Munich to Prague

Hi All. We [3] are planning a short holiday to Germany [ Mittenwald / Rothenburg ] and Prague. Need to reach Prague on May 2. Tried the night train on bahn.de but im unable to view the price of a sleeper ticket. Am not sure if I am doing something wrong. Is the night train a good option [the one way flight to Prague from Munich is around 300 Euros which seems costly]. Or is driving from Rothenburg to Prague an option? [I dont speak German, but am an experienced driver]. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...
Feb 11th, 2007, 09:37 AM

You won't find sleeping accommodation prices on the Bahn website. You can find and book accommodations on many night trains at http://buchung.nachtzugreise.de. The site can be displayed in English.

For May 1, I found that there were accommodation available on CNL 363 leaving Munich at 10:07 PM. The savings price (non-refundable, non-exchangeable, quantitiy limited, advance purchase necessary) was €69 per person in a three person compartment with a sink. That is the full price, including the rail ticket and sleeping accommodations. You can purchase these tickets online at the site, pay with a credit card, and self-print the tickets at home.

If you are going round trip to Prague, there is also a special price on the Prague-Spezial on one of three daily train connections in each direction from Munich to Prague for €59 per person. For Nürnberg to Prague it is only €49. It is only available as a round trip. You can view the offer in German at www.tiny.cc/PragueSpecial. If you click on the pdf icon on the bottom of the page, it will bring up a broshure, also in German, with the schedule. You can purchase these tickets at a ticket counter or automat in Munich or Nürnberg.
Feb 11th, 2007, 10:07 AM

By the way, just to clarify, €59 is the price of the round trip (not one way) from Munich to Prague with the Prague-Spezial fare.

An alternative, particularly for one way only, would be to purchase a Bayern ticket for €27. That would allow all three of you to travel via any regional trains from anywhere in Bavaria (Munich, Rothenburg, etc) to the Czech border at Bayerish Eisenstein, Furth im Wald, or Schirnding. Also purchase in Munich (or any other station in Bavaria) tickets from the border to Prague (about €20 per person). It might be wise to use a ticket counter for all of this. It will cost €2 extra for the Bayern Ticket, but the agent can coordinate the route and give you the correct connecting tickets. This way would cost about €30 per person one way.
Feb 11th, 2007, 10:41 AM

>Also purchase in Munich (or any other station in Bavaria) tickets from the border to Prague (about €20 per person)
It'll cost a fraction of that, if you buy the ticket on the other side of the border .Czech railways have vastly different prices for national and international customers. It only depens where you buy the ticket.
Feb 11th, 2007, 10:45 AM

>Schirnding
Not Schirnding, but Marktredwitz / Eger (Cheb). Birthplace of Wallenstein.
Feb 11th, 2007, 12:41 PM

First, the rail connection from Markredwitz into the Czech Republic makes it's last stop in Germany in Schirnding. That is why I used it as an example of the border crossing.

Second, yes, the Czech Rail fare from the first station on the other side of the border to Prague is less, but how do you buy the ticket? How do you get to the first station on the other side of the border without having a ticket? Can you buy the Czech Rail ticket on the train when you cross over the border? Schirnding and Bayrisch Eisenstein are still in Bavaria, so the only tickets to Prague you could buy there are the same DB tickets I mentioned. If you bought a DB ticket to the first station on the other side of the border, you would still have to leave the train to buy the Czech tickets and then catch the next train to Prague, making the trip unnecessarily longer.
Feb 11th, 2007, 01:01 PM

>How do you get to the first station on the other side of the border without having a ticket?
There's a ticket machine onboard the train to Eger, you can get one to there. You can also buy this ticket in advance at any German station or DB ticket machine. Just enter the last German and the first Chech station. In many cases, you have to change trains in Eger. You can either buy a ticket at the station,
or you can buy one on the train. There's a czech conductor on board that sells tickets. So no need to leave the train, but you have to buy two tickets in Germany, that is a Bayern Ticket plus one from the last Bavarian to the first Czech station.

Btw. You can buy tickets from any German DB ticket machine that are valid for depature from any specified german DB train station, no matter how far away.
Feb 11th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

Hi Larryincolorado and logos999 - thanks so much for the information. I like the option of purchasing a Bayaren ticket and then another Czech ticket [costing 30 Euro one way] - however, we are travelling with my aunt who is over 70, you think it is advisable to purchase this ticket 3 days in advance or do an advance booking [would the option suggested be done over the internet?]

Also- on the option of buying the ticket from Eger to Prague, would we be able to keep the same sleeper seats on CNL 363? pls advise which will be a more comfortable option. [I dont mind spending little more for peace of mind and this would be our first trip to the Czech Republic]Thanks a lot....
Feb 11th, 2007, 09:40 PM

If you need to make reservations, your best options are to buy ONE ticket and pay more. The night train train is only a good option, if you're able to sleep. I would never dare taking it. The roundtrip flight can be bought for 150€ in Summer btw. No need to pay twice that much for the one way flight. http://www.czechairlines.de/de/germany/de_home.htm
Feb 11th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Original Poster

hi logos999 - I am getting a price of 284 Euros per person for a one way flight OK0555 on May2 at 08:50- but a return ticket is costing me 219 Euros. Looks strange!! Any thoughts on other options? I really would like to spend a few days in Prague...Thanks a lot..
Feb 12th, 2007, 03:29 AM
ira

Hi S.

>I am getting a price of 284 Euros per person for a one way flight ...but a return ticket is costing me 219 Euros. Looks strange!! <

Not really. RT is almost always less than 1-way.

Have you checked prices at www.whichbudget.com?

Feb 12th, 2007, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Hi Ira - the website shows condor as flying from munich to prague, but Condor's website does not show a flight from Munich to Prague. I've tentatively blocked with my travel agent a Cz Air return flight [will not use the return segment - but thats cheaper than buying a one way ticket!!]
Feb 12th, 2007, 11:52 AM

The fares Logos and I were talking about using a Bayern Ticket and point to point to Prague are for DAY trains. I posted earlier (first answer to your OP) about the night train from Munich to Prague. There is also a night train bookable on the same website from Nuernberg to Prague, if you don't want to go through Munich.

As for flying, unless you were going to spend time in Munich, taking the train from Rothenburg to Munich takes enough time that, with preboard time at the airport, flight time, getting off the plane, finding ground transportation and getting into Prague, flying will take almost as much time as Rothenburg to Prague by rail - and cost a lot more.
Feb 13th, 2007, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Hi larryincolorado. Thanks for your inputs. You are right on the add on time related to flying but i was thinking on the lines of hiring a car during my time in germany and dropping off the car at the munich airport and flying to prague. You think this makes sense or is the train options better?

And if the train is better, would it be ok to book the night train when i reach Germany or do we need an advance booking to be done now? I've yet to receive my Czech visa [here its a long drawn process]- hence in case there are issues, want to wait a bit. Pls advise... thanks a lot ...

Feb 13th, 2007, 07:21 AM

From your opening post I gathered that you were not planning on spending any time in Munich. Are you?

If not, there is a night train from Nürnberg to Prague that would be easier to get to from Rothenburg. But if you are planning to be in Munich, then the night train from there works better.
Feb 14th, 2007, 07:47 AM

As for going by car or train from Rothenburg to Munich airport, except for the higher cost for a car rental vs. a €27 Bayern Ticket, I think it is pretty much equivalent.

The time difference per the Bahn schedule vs. Michelin's driving time estimate is about 2 hour. However, unless you miss a train connection, the train times are pretty predictable. On the other hand, if driving, how much of a time buffer do you leave to account for backups or missing a turn? Since you have never driven that route, you have no idea of the timing. Plus you will spend time at the car rental return plus getting from there to the airport.

Isn't the fee to drop a car at the airport pretty steep?

As for the night trains from Nürnberg or Munich, according to the Nacht Zug Reise website, it looks like enough people have already booked, that there are no SparNight fares for three of you together. If you book now, you can get full fare in a three person compartment at €383 for everyone. That full fare ticket is refundable up to two days before departure.

However, if you are not spending time in Munich, but just passing through as a point of origin to fly to Prague, you can instead leave Rothenburg on the 10:06 train, connect in Steinach and Ansbach to Nürnberg and then take the direct train (RE 453) to Prague. This connection takes about 6 1/2 hours and avoids the hassle of the airport. The cost, remember, is about €30 per person with a Bayern Ticket, depending on how you do the connecting ticket in the Czech Republic.
Feb 14th, 2007, 08:22 AM

We took a 6:00am train from Munich to Prague. Yes, it is early, but it is the fastest train between the two cities (6hrs), and gets you there by noon, so it doesn't waste a whole day. It was very affordable, and we paid for the whole thing in Munich. We considered the night train, but decided we would rather have a good night's sleep (well until 5:00am anyway) and then nap on the train, rather than relying on getting real sleep on the night train.
Feb 14th, 2007, 08:46 AM

Actually, that train leaves Munich at 6:43 and gets into Prague at 12:45 (pretty close to noon). The Nürnberg to Prague train takes only 5 hours, but there is still the issue of getting from Rothernburg to Nürnberg via regional trains.

Actually, getting to Nürnberg shouldn't be difficult. You have five minutes to change platforms in Steinach; there will probably be a herd going to the southbound train and they won't leave while people are still coming to the train. As long as you don't fall behind the herd, you are fine. The change in Ansbach is 5 minutes for a cross platform change; no problem. When you get to Nürnberg you have 15 minutes to get to the adjacent platform.
Feb 15th, 2007, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Hi Larryincolorado for patiently responding to my queries and giving me so much advise. Really appreciate it. Thanks to saltymuffin too. I want to travel from Munich as I want to visit Dacau so plan to stay that night in and around munich and then either take train / flight. The car i thought would be handy in leisurely driving around in Bavaria - last stop being Dacau and then train to Prague [via Munich]..
Feb 15th, 2007, 11:10 AM

Serenity,

It's Dachau!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO