What's the best+cheapest way from Frankfurt to Munich

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI all, I need help, can anyway give me advice on the best and cheapest way to get from Frankfurt to Munich.
Also if you had 3 days spare, would it be better spent in Frankfurt or Munich?

Thanks!
Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 02:10 PM
rex

Better to spend 3 days in Munich. Except, of course, if you have a loved one in Frankfurt!

For one person, train; for four or more (sharing), rental car.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Dec 24th, 2004, 05:15 AM

What about the bus that runs from Frankfurt to Munich, slow but perhaps cheaper? J.
Old Dec 24th, 2004, 05:18 AM

Spend your time in Munich!!! What time of the year are you going?
Old Dec 24th, 2004, 09:24 AM

Spend it in Munich or take the high-speed (57 minutes) ICE link to Cologne and then another four hours on the train to Berlin..the beer there is just as good and the real liquor is even better!

Enjoy your trip.
Old Dec 24th, 2004, 01:52 PM
rex

<<What about the bus that runs from Frankfurt to Munich, slow but perhaps cheaper?>>

That's the problem with someone asking for &quot;the best and cheapest&quot; - - almost never the same thing. I often do not know <i><b>the</b></i> cheapest way to get between two points, unless it's a flight on www.whichbudget.com
Old Dec 25th, 2004, 04:46 AM

Hi oiloc and Rex. Rex, the bus I was thinking of was the one which follows a good bit of the 'romantic road'. I have no idea how much it costs, and it's been many years since I rode it. It was slow, but it went through very beautiful countryside and villages including my favorite, Harburg. Merry Christmas
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the info guys, I was planning on taking the train, but if there is a bus with a nice route to see the country side, I wouldn't mind that.

I'm looking at going there with a friend next August. Along time still, but too excited to wait.

We plan to spend 3 days in Munich now and do a day trip to Neuschwanstein. Is a day trip possible?
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 04:06 PM

Yes. The train to F&uuml;ssen takes about two hours, then you have a 10-minute bus ride to the village of Hohenschwangau, then bus, walk, or horse carriage up the hill (not far, but a vertical rise of ~300'), then by foot to the castle.

As long as you're there, see nearby Hohenschwangau castle, too. Neuschwanstein, although very photogenic, is unfinished and mostly bare, the former is furnished and much more interesting.
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 06:45 PM

You will pay around 90 Euros each one way on the train for regular high-speed service. But you and your friend can get there by train for about 30 Euros each on the local trains. You can get from Frankfurt to Kahl, the Bavarian border town, for several Euros; from there, travel together with your friend on the local trains one &quot;Bayern (Bavaria) ticket&quot; (24 Euros) valid between Kahl and Munich. You can buy this ticket on the train to Kahl from the conductor, but not in Frankfurt.

The local trains will require an extra 2 hours or so of your time over the direct, high-speed equipment and 1-3 changes of train depending on your itinerary. Check schedules at www.bahn.de .