Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bavaria, car rental and train, juggling both

Jan 30th, 2003, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

to cut down on the number of days we have to rent a car, I'm thinking of flying into Frankfurt and taking the train to Munich, so we can have a couple of days seeing Munich without a car.

do you think this would be too tiring travel wise?

We'd rent a car in Munich then drop it off in Frankfurt, so that we can go in a loop to see the Rhine/Mosel area last.

I suppose another option would be to fly into Munich and then fly out of Frankfurt, seemed like it might be a little complicated, especially as this is our first trip to Germany.

any input appreciated
Jan 30th, 2003, 09:52 AM

Either option seems wise to me. You do not want nor need a car in Munich. We picked up our car as we left Munich and returned it to Frankfurt when we flew out. It was not difficult.
Jan 30th, 2003, 09:57 AM

Marge,

Last May, we flew into Frankfurt and took the train to Munich. We spent 5 nights in Munich, then picked up our rental car. Two weeks later, we returned it the the Frankfurt Airport, no problem.

I think next time, we will fly directly into Munich and skip the train. I was not that impressed.

Curious
Jan 31st, 2003, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm leaning towards flying into Munich and flying out of Frankfurt, if the ticket costs work out for that.

I'm just wondering, how long is the train ride from Frankfurt to Munich? is it easy to reach the train station from Frankfurt Airport? Thanks.

Jan 31st, 2003, 08:11 AM

Marge - you can get direct trains to Munich right in the airport. You will have more choices if you take the train from the airport to the main station in Frankfurt. Check out "bahn.de" and click on "Travel Service (Time table) in the left hand banner. Then just type in "Frankfurt airport" and
"Munich". Travel time is 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours. By the way you will not need or want a car while in Munich, Enjoy!
Jan 31st, 2003, 08:16 AM

Well, this didn't post the first time, so I'll try again. We flew into Frankfurt, then rail to Bamberg (3 day stay), then rail to Munich (3 days). Then rented a car in Munich and drove to Hohenschwangau to see Ludwig's castles (visited Linderhof on the way); stayed 2 days in Hohenschwangau. Then drove up the Romantic Road to the Rothenburg area (stops on the way at the Wieskirche and Dinkelsbuhl). Afte a couple of days, we drove to the Mosel (Beilstein) for three days. Then to Frankfurt for departure (stayed in a hotel near the airport). The train/car combo worked well for us as we did not need a car in either Bamberg or Munich. But the car was very useful after Munich as we wanted to get off the main roads and look around a bit.
Feb 1st, 2003, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Charlie, re: train info. That's a long train ride after the flight. I'm still considering flying into the Munich then home from Frankfurt.

Rufus, I really like the sound of your itinerary. I've looked at the Bamberg site and it is beautiful.

Looking at the train schedule, it looks to be 2 to 3 hour train ride from Frankfurt airport to Bamberg.

It's fun planning the trip. Hard to make the final decision on what to do, ha.
Feb 1st, 2003, 10:56 AM

Bamberg is a gem of a little city. The historic center was not touched by WWII. We stayed right on the river--if I had fallen out of our room's window, I would have made quite a splash. Two days would be enough to see the town's major sites and sample the local specialties. We stayed 3 because we spent an afternoon and evening with a German couple my family knew from when my father was stationed in Bamberg.