Munich Airport to Paris - train question

Jan 31st, 2010, 09:49 PM
tod
Original Poster

Munich Airport to Paris - train question

Does one have to take a train into Munich from the airport to make a connecting train to Paris OR does the train leave directly from Munich Airport?
Jan 31st, 2010, 09:55 PM

Hi tod,

May or may not. Just use the German rail site

www.bahn.de

to get your schedules. Be sure to use "Munich airport" as your departure. I just did a dummy look starting at 09.30, and it shows one route that changes at the Hbh and several that changes at "Laim" and then "Passing" (suburbs of München).

Personally, I wouldn't worry about where the first change is; I would just look for the route with the fewest overall changes.

You probably already know this, but you can get pretty good deals (around 50E) if you buy your tickets 89 days out.

Have fun!

s
Jan 31st, 2010, 10:16 PM

There are no direct trains from Munich airport to Paris. The airport is not connected to the main lines, but you need to take (any of the two) suburban train lines into Munich.

You change at Munich central station to the high-speed trains towards Paris (with usually 1 change of trains in Stuttgart. IME only one direct very early in the morning.).

But do use "Munich airport" at the Bahn website as your departure station. Thus, your ticket will include the bit on the suburban trains to Munich central.
Jan 31st, 2010, 10:17 PM
tod
Original Poster

Thanks for your answer Swandav - We have done this trip from Paris to Munich but spent the night before going to the main train station to get the train to the airport. As it is far too early to book seats for end July I have not gone onto the DBhan website yet. We only had one change at Stuttgart coming into Munich so maybe it would be easier just to get into the city and then take the main Munich-Paris train from there. As you say, look for the least changes.
Thanks so much,
Tod
Jan 31st, 2010, 11:01 PM
tod
Original Poster

OK - Just had a look at the DBhan train schedule and see my worst nightmare staring up from the screen... I never noticed this first time round when we travelled FROM Paris to Munich and we have to do this return journey once again.
The minutes they allow between the change over at Stuttgart is far too little unless you are very fit and can sprint between platforms which are very far apart....and not be dragging a largish suitcase etc.,etc.
We just made it by the skin of our teeth and actually held the train door open so the darn thing couldn't leave until we fell into the train like exhausted jibbering idiots! I swore that day I would rather sit on the platform for the next train even if it meant a couple of hours and being bored to tears!

Since Cowboy1968 pointed out the early train- Thanks, you now have got me thinking like this: For the return trip: Leave Paris very very early, get off at Stuttgart and maybe spend a few hours looking around the city before we take the latest train possible to get into Munich and then the airport.
Our flight leaves at 21.55 but of course we must check in at least 2-3hrs earlier than that.

What's to see in Stuttgart - can this be done?