Mt. Vesuvius or Ischia

Jun 21st, 2004, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Mt. Vesuvius or Ischia

I will be in Sorrento for 4 days and plan on seeing Pompeii. Any thoughts on seeing Mt. Vesuvius or Ischia for a day trip? (I will be spending 3 nights in Capri, 4 in Positano, and 2 in Ravello as well and I am trying to figure out what else I should do.)
Jun 21st, 2004, 12:47 PM
ira

Hi aneck,

Have you thought of a day in Naples?
Jun 21st, 2004, 03:18 PM

If you go to Naples, try to see "Il Cristo Velato"(veiled Christ) in Cappella Sansevero-it's infinitely beautiful!
Ischia is known for it's thermal spas, Sant'angelo has a wonderful one, many pools of various temperatures, the waters there are totally natural (unchlorinated) unlike other spas on the Island, and the setting is spectacular. If you go after I pm, it's half price.
You can take a ferry or hydrofoil there from Sorrento, and then a bus to your island destination.

There is also an amazing garden "la Mortella, in the middle of the island, also worth a visit.

IMO, depends entirely on your mood,
Naples, with it's crazy city atmosphere, might make a nice contrast from the slower paced Amalfi Coast. ALso, if you are visiting Pompeii, it's important to know that you can see most of the treasures recovered at the Archeological Museum in Naples, along with some fabulous mosaics, all from Pompeii, which will really add to your experience.
Jun 21st, 2004, 07:06 PM

We went to Ischia and loved it. In fact we plan to go back and stay for a night or two. We went there after a hectic three week trip. It was a wonderful day. There is a bus that you can take to various parts of the island. We ate in a very small fishing village. Very laid back. If you go, the travel agency there is VERY helpful. We booked the last few legs of our Trenitalia trips at this agency. There were not too many tourists.
Jun 21st, 2004, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Hi Ira- I plan on taking the ferry from Sorrento to Naples for my last night on the Amalfi Coast. We are staying at the Jolly Hotel and we hope to make it to the Museum. I am a little afraid of Naples' reputation but hope to make the bst of my afternoon there.
Jun 22nd, 2004, 04:13 AM
ira

Hi

>I am a little afraid of Naples' reputation but hope to make the bst of my afternoon there. <

Naples is highly underrated and it is not as bad as many people say.

If you go with an open mind, I think you will want to return.