Naples And Area- suggestions please.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2018, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. My family (5 adults/1 child) will be arriving in Naples on July 11th and we are staying in Chiaia for 5 nights. We have 4 full days to explore, and we can't wait! We are interested in visiting Capri/Anacapri and the Amalfi Coast. Is this all easily done from Naples? Which is the better mode of transportation? I'm thinking of Capri for a day, then two days visiting Sorrento, Pompeii, Positano, Amalfi and Ravello. Our last day we'd spend in Naples, before we fly out the next morning. Any suggestions on an itinerary? Or suggesting places that I haven't mentioned? I'm really unsure of our two days along the Amalfi Coast. Which places to see on one day and which places on the other day. Thank you for any advice.
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 06:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I assume you intend to explore the Amalfi Coast using public transportation...? It could easily take you 60 minutes to reach Pompeii by taxi+train (including the time to reach the Centrale station from Chiaia). Then 30+ minutes by train to Sorrento and over an hour to ferry from Sorrento to Naples plus time to return to Chiaia. That would be a long-ish day for the "child." FYI, Pompeii could be hot, so take refillable water bottles with you and consider wearing hats.

There are no direct ferries from Naples to the Amalfi Coast, so you'd have to patch together a series of transportation options. Perhaps train to Salerno, ferry or bus to Amalfi, bus or taxi to/from Ravello, ferry or bus to Positano, ferry or bus to Sorrento, train to Naples, taxi to Chiaia. Another VERY long day for a kid. You should look into all of the timetables to see how much time you could spend anywhere and make reservations where possible. FYI, the buses will be very crowded. If you could afford it, consider hiring a driver and car for the day.

You don't mention why you're staying in Chiaia, but for your plans you might consider staying in/near Sorrento. It would make moving around less of a time-eater.
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 06:15 PM
kja

Jean has given you some great advice!
I'll add that Capri is easily visited by ferry from Naples.
No time for Naples itself?
A place you haven't mentioned: Paestum.
If you aren't staying in Sorrento, I wouldn't make a point of seeing it.

For your transportation options, consult rome2rio.com
For your sightseeing options, consult a good guidebook or two.

Good luck!
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions. As for staying in Chiaia....we arrive late at night in Naples and also fly out from Naples. I thought it would be a good idea to get to our hotel, drop off our luggage and then explore from Naples as our home base. We also want to explore Naples for a full day and maybe in the evenings, if we get back early enough from our day trips. Molo Beverello marina is a 10 min walk from our hotel in Chiaia. So I thought that would be perfect to ferry out from there to Capri and the Amalfi Coast. I can cancel hotel in Chiaia and maybe find something in Sorrento, but I was concerned about getting there from Naples, at night, with a lot of luggage and then back to Naples for an early flight out 5 days later. I've also been misinformed, in that I could get to the Amalfi Coast easily from Naples. I assumed we'd take a ferry or hydrofoil from Beverello to any of those places I've mentioned. We do have 2 days to visit the towns in the Amalfi Coast area, but not sure now that I'd want to go through the travel from Naples, twice, to visit those places. Also, my group is on a budget so that could get costly. I apologize for the long reply...should I stick to my plan to stay in Chiaia, or revise everything? Thanks for your help...
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Kja....thank you for suggesting Paestum. And we are definitely spending at least a full day in Naples itself. I am now trying to decide on staying in Chiaia, or switching to somewhere in/near Sorrento. Please read additional post to see my dilemma. I thought I had it all figured out. You and Jean are the only people who have replied to my post, so I hope you both will take the time to advise me on this.....I've been reading for days...still confused on best place to call home while in that area.
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 08:33 AM

Sorrento is yes utilitarian base for your wish list sites - not the proverbial seaside Amalfi town - can't see sea from most of town high up above the sea but very nice place- lots of strollers out and about at night. For lots on area transports check www.seat61.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 08:38 AM

With your late arrival, you can stay in Naples the whole time, you can split your stay, or you can pay for a private transfer the night you arrive. You just have to weigh the pros and cons and decide what works best for your family.
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 08:54 AM

Usually I advise people to stay in Sorrento but given your arrival and departure times, the total length of the trip and that you also want to see Capri and Pompeii - I think you are probably right that staying in Naples makes the most sense. You can easily get boats to Capri, and the commuter train to Pompei from Naples (and of course see Naples itself). The Amalfi Coast is going to be more difficult. You say you're on a budget so a driver is probably not possible. If not, one option is to take a boat from Naples to Sorrento and another to Positano/Amalfi. I think the boat from Sorrento to Positano leaves about 10:30 so if you can get there in time to make that boat, that would be a good option. Maybe take the boat all the way to Amalfi, explore Amalfi, get the bus back to Positano and then either the bus or boat back to Sorrento. Obviously the other way is train to Sorrento, then bus to Positano/Amalfi. You can find the schedules for all these on line. It will just take some 'organizing' on your part You can't just wing it cause the boats especially are not that frequent. Trains are almost hourly, and bus is several times a day, but really only one boat in each direction that would work for you. Boats from Naples to Capri and from Naples to Sorrento are more frequent, but still need to plan. But it is certainly doable and both the boat and the bus are enjoyable, scenic rides (the train part not so much).

Photos - Zenfolio | Isabel's_View | Amalfi Coast
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 04:01 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you sure you can walk from Chiaia to Molo Beverello? I think there is a tunnel, and busy road involved. Naples seems to be getting little time vs two days on Amalfi Coast? Sorrento would be easier for you but try to stay in Naples too.
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 05:44 PM
kja

IMO, you have described very good reasons for staying in Chiaia, though I would follow up on HappyTrvlr’s question about walking options. And from what you've said, I would not think Sorrento a particularly good solution; JMO.

You have very little time in the area, so you aren’t going to be able to see everything. If you decide to visit Paestum, you can easily reach it by train from Naples. Pompeii and Herculaneoum are easy to reach by the Circumvesuviana train from Naples. Capri is easily visited by ferry from Naples. For the Amalfi Coast, I would take the train to Salerno and then either a bus or ferry to Amalfi. My favorite place on the Amalfi Coast is Ravello, which you reach by bus from Amalfi. With one day on the Amalfi Coast, I’d make Ravello and Amalfi my priorities, and I’d skip Positano unless I found myself with time on my hands (hard to imagine), but that’s just me. And personally, I’d give the coast itself only one day – but then, I really wanted to see the other places I already mentioned – AND much more of Naples than a day would afford, not to mention Salerno itself…..

No right or wrong answers -- just difficult choices that only you can make. Do you have a good guidebook? If not, you might spend some time with one at a bookstore or library. You'll learn things you don't even know to ask!
Old Mar 16th, 2018, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your great suggestions/opinions. I will be getting a guide book and I'm now looking into the possibility of a driver for the day to the Amalfi Coast. If we need a second day to finish, we will use public transportation. We will be keeping our place in Chiaia and venturing out from there. One day for Capri, one or two days for Amalfi Coast (depending on how much we cover the first day) and then one day (our last) for Naples itself. For the Amalfi Coast, I think we'll head straight to Salerno first thing in the morning, visit and then work our way back, hoping to visit Amalfi, Ravello, (maybe Maiori, Praiaio, Furore), Positano, Sorrento and Pompeii. Please advise if this is doable (on our own or with a driver)..or we could see how the day goes, and maybe call it a day at some point/town and then return the next day to finish off the places we didn't get to visit. I would also like a partial day of relaxing on a beautiful beach if possible.... Not a top priority unless you think it can be done in combination with any of the days in my temporary itinerary above? Maybe Capri? Or on possible day two of Amalfi Coast? Or if we finish Amalfi Coast in one day, is there any suggestions on a great beach/area to visit for a couple hours on a possible free day? I thank you for the time you take to reply.