Reload this Page >

Mosquitoes in Tuscany?

Search

Mosquitoes in Tuscany?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Connie

Mosquitoes in Tuscany?

How bad will the mosquitoes and no-see-ums be around September 13-28 in Tuscany? What is the average temperature?

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 09:01 PM
Jake

topping for mosquito information.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 01:26 AM
Alice Twain

This year we have had fewer mosquitoes than usual. Bringing a repellent might be still useful, but you should not be wading in a crowd of insects. Temperatures this year are pretty low. Afther the heat wave of June we have had a poor summer. On sunny days you might have a temperature of 25°C, but as it clouds or starts to rain the temperature easily drops to 20 or even 15°C even in August. Bring some warm clothing and some T-shirts as well.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 02:52 PM
Eaten Alive

I was in Umbria this past June, in the area just south of Lake Trasimeno. In the week that I was there, I had a handful of mosquito bites (no West Nile Virus!). In the following 5 days in the Cinque Terre, I was eaten alive.<BR><BR>I think I must exude some sort of hormone that mosquitoes interpret to say "All You Can Eat Buffet!" in mosquitoese. When I was in Montepulciano for the entire month of July 1999, I was eaten alive.<BR><BR>Bring bug spray, bring anti-itch medicine, and bring cortisone, and you'll survive if you're mosquito-prone.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 04:22 PM
Elsa

We were in Tuscany last year at the same time you will be there. We had NO problem w/ mosquitos or no-see-ums. Bugs like me, but maybe the Italian ones didn't. <BR><BR>Temps were comfortable - maybe in the mid-70's.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 04:26 PM
Ang

I just got back from Venice and the last night we ate at da Raffaele by the canal and we were positively eaten alive by mosquitoes. It never even crossed my mind to bring bug repellent. They started handing it out at the restaurant! (Too late though)

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 04:54 PM
B

Topping for mosquito/temps info for late September in Tuscany.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 08:02 PM
Carol

Anyone highly recommend a specific product? I've seen Avon's "Skin So Soft" mentioned here. It would be a shame to spend all our time itching and scratching. Carol

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 02:52 AM
Sia

What you need to do it head to an Italian supermarket or hardware store. They have plug in the wall things called VAPE that will keep ALL mosquitoes away from you while you sleep! They plug in to any Italian plug and you can sleep with the windows open!<BR>Ciao<BR>Sia

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 05:02 AM
Bob C

Get a product that contains "Deet".

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 05:19 AM
Alice Twain

Vape ad Deet (in Italy sold as Off and Autan) do keep mosquitoes off you (or kill them), but they also kill you slowly along with mosquitoes. Unless you really usually get eaten alive, citronella and geranium lotions and candles are a better choice. And, as I said before, this year we are having almost no mosquitoes.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 06:11 AM
john

Returned Friday from Tuscany. Only problem with Mosquitoes was at night time trying to sleep and there were just a few but the dive bomb sound does disturb ones sleep. We used those coils that you light and they worked quite well.<BR><BR>John

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 06:50 AM
Dick

Alice, you should not be spreading disinformation and scaring people unnecessarily. Repeated clinical studies over the last 30 or more years have shown DEET to be safe and effective for adults when used as directed (it's not toxic to mosquitos either, by the way). DEET-based repellants are, however, not recommended for small children. If you are interested in the facts I suggest you start with a review article that appeared in 1998 in a reputable medical journal. Here's the link: http://www.acponline.org/journals/an...8/mosquito.htm

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 09:03 AM
Alice Twain

Autan and Off boxes state very clearly that these products can be nocive if ingested and can kill water life (I mean fishes etc.). Now, if the producer himslef tells me that if I drop some of his product in my goldfish bowl, my little goldfish wil die. I just worry about my health. Since I am also Italian I do not stop using the product nor I get mad about it, but for sure I try to use it in a more considerate way.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 09:28 AM
Santa Chiara

I am sitting here in Bologna, Italy, having been prescribed cortisone, antibiotics and antihistemine for mosquito bites (called tiger mosquitoes). These are especially vicious little buggers, and my doctor said he had treated a dozen people these week with severe reactions. Reactions include pus-filled and oozing puncture points and red, hot and inflamed swelling. In my case , my hand has swollen so much I couldn't get my watch over my wrist. I also have had a low-grade fever both times.<BR><BR>The mosquitoes are definitely out and in force. I was in both Tuscany and Emilia Romagna this weekend, so I don't know where I was bitten. I also use Off and Vape and citronella.<BR><BR>

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 04:25 AM
Alice Twain

Santa Chiara:<BR><BR>A few tiger mosquitoes have been reported in northern Tuscany lately.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 12:27 PM
Santa Chiara

Alice, more than "a few" have been reported in Bologna.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 04:54 AM
Alice Twain

Santa Chiara:<BR><BR>Damn! I have just been invited for a delicious risotto con scampi at a friend's of mine house in Bologna! And the one bite on my shoulder still ITCHES!!!

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 09:24 AM
aileen

Just got back from Rome and Tuscany a couple of days ago. Did not see any mosquitoes, and we ate outside whenever possible.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Alice Twain

Santa CHiara:<BR><BR>Risotto con scampi in Bologna? Are you a friend of Joe Bossi? ^___^