Reload this Page >

Sunflowers in TUSCANY

Search

Sunflowers in TUSCANY

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 02:23 PM
Katrina

Sunflowers in TUSCANY

What time frame are the fields in Tuscany (and Umbria) full of those beautiful sunflowers? I was there in October last year and of course all the fields were tilled over. What crops do they normally grow in those fields? <BR><BR>Thank you

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 04:18 PM
Sue

Hi,<BR><BR>I have been to Italy twice in the beginning of July and the sunflowers have been in full bloom. I do not know how long they last. It is wonderful to drive around Tuscany with fields of sunflowers surrounding you.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 04:23 PM
henly

They begin to pop up in mid-late June and are usually all gone by beginning to mid-AUgust.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 06:15 PM
Diane

We were there in mid-September and they were still in full bloom so I'm sure the season is variable depending on the rain and the sun.<BR>They are spectacular.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 06:19 PM
Dayle

Hi Katrina, <BR><BR>During May, the fields are full of brillant red poppies! Plus a few other flowers.<BR><BR>The fields are mostly wheat - like in pasta....

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 08:54 AM
ukexpat

I was in Pisa/Florence last weekend and the sunflowers were in full bloom. We saw then from the train.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 07:30 PM
btd

what can i see in late sept/early october? nothing???

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 07:57 PM
pat

Those red flander`s fields poppies are all over in April/May. The look just like the ones that the Red Cross? used to give you for a donation. Was it the red cross? Prettier than sun flowers.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 10:46 PM
Helen

No btd, end September, early Oct, the tree's leaves start colouring! We have been there twice at that time, and have seen the most beautiful autumn colours! And at sunset, the sky in Umbria really becomes the most wonderful pink!<BR><BR>Enjoy! Helen

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 01:35 PM
JAFA

We were in Tuscany and Umbria second week of September this year, and didn't see any sunflowers! I guess it does depend on the weather, as Diane said.

Old Aug 4th, 2010, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are the sunflowers concentrated in a certain part of Tuscany or are they through the entire region? Trying to decide on north or south of Siena for next July.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 10:41 AM

kwen, this post is 8 years old.
In July, you will see them in much of Tuscany.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 11:00 AM

I knew it was old. Do people prefer we start a new thread each time? If so, sorry.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 12:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>I knew it was old. Do people prefer we start a new thread each time?</i>"

Usually it is a good idea to start a new thread if you are asking questions for your own trip.

Otherwise folks don't notice the dates and end up trying to help the OP and your new questions get lost in the shuffle.

(Now -- there ARE times when it is good to top an ancient thread. Like one of the classic trip reports or a special case like that. This isn't one of them)
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 12:41 PM
J62

I see nothing wrong with topping this old thread. Many long time Fodorites complain when someone doesn't use the search function to find old posts on their topic, and when someone does they get jumped on.

Questions and answers about sunflowers in Tuscany certainly withstand the test of time. It's not the same thing as asking for a restaurant recommendation or looking for a $100 hotel room or asking if Rome is still in restoration, although one could argue that the latter is also timeless.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 01:18 PM

I did think someone might point out that I should research my question first and also thought anyone searching this topic could get more info at once this way. For me, it's sometimes a pain to have to check multiple threads on the same topic, but I'll start a new one next time. No problem (and thanks for your support J62)