Search

Mosque Attire

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mosque Attire

We will be visiting mosques in Istanbul and Kusadasi. I read that they require long pants for men and prefer skirts below the knee for women. My skirts hit just below the knee. I'm thinking this may not be long enough. What do you think? Are capris that hit mid-calf for women okay?
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 10:27 AM

It's been some time since I've been in the middle east, but the skirt length strikes me as fine. I think you're better with skirts (over capris or pants), but still the longer versions are ok too (particularly in Istanbul). I would note also that you would want stay away from tank tops as well. Short sleeves, or even 3/4 length, would be fine.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 10:30 AM

Skirt below the knee is fine, so are capris. No shorts, no mini skirts. And preferably sleeves at least down to elbows. No bare waists or backs. A scarf over the head, and shoes left outside the mosque. (There are shelves for shoes).
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Hi! Thanks so much for taking time to respond.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 06:09 PM

Women really don't have to cover their heads in the Blue Mosque.

My mother wore capris to the Blue Mosque.

For the Blue Mosque--you are given a bag to put your shoes into. You can carry the bag with you into the mosque. I am pretty sure they give you footie socks if you need them. There are pieces of blue cloth that are given out for covering the head, but I wouldn't put it on my head for fear of lice.

It is appreciated that a small donation be given upon leaving the Blue Mosque. You will be looked on favourably if you do so.

Thin
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 06:21 PM

Agree that trousers, full length or cropped, are fine for women in Turkey. In every mosque I visited except the Blue, women were given a scarf to borrow to wrap around their heads; I brought my own shawl along for this purpose. My guide was wearing a mini skirt and a sleeveless top and she was given a wrap to tie around her to cover her upper arms, legs and knees. She had expected this but prefers to walk elsewhere less covered up.
By the way, don't worry too much about offending anyone. If a cover up is wanted, they'll offer one. Turkish people were very welcoming to this American, and officially they have a secular government.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 06:30 PM

You will also 'be looked on favourably' if you make little effort to respect Islamic culture and dress codes. No, you don't have to cover up the way a devout woman would, just make a little effort not to look like you're asserting your right to do as you please.

Carry a light-weight, pretty scarf with you and use it to cover your hair in the mosques. And if you know you'll be visiting holy places during the day, make it a point to wear your more conservative clothing - and if you are wearing pants perhaps you could wear a longer top to disguise your figure just a little?

If you take care to dress with some modesty and to act respectfully, you may find that you can have some rewarding interaction with some of the local people, rather than just unrewarding and annoying interaction with all the touts swarming around the tourists. You will notice they don't seem to pester the local women.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 07:40 PM

Since shoes must be left at the door, I took a pair of bootie socks that have the non-skid things on the bottom. I refer to them as my "temple socks". They have been handy on several trips!
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your good advice. I bought a skirt that is mid-calf and will wear it with a 3/4 sleeve length. I had planned on bringing my own scarf but LOVE the idea of bringing my own socks. I have been thinking for the past few days that I didn't really want to be walking around in my bare feet! It's all I can do to tolerate it in the airport security checks.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 09:06 AM

I'm always really impressed with people who go out of their way to respect local customs such as proper apparel in mosques, temples and churches. I guess I'm getting old and cranky (well, I KNOW I'm getting old and cranky), but I'm frequently appalled at the attire of some people in churches, particularly my own. Strapless dresses, halter top dresses, short shorts. How tacky!
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 09:10 AM

I use socks through airport security also, ha! But in the mosques I visited, the carpets always looked quite clean so I did not worry about it (after all, worshippers wash their feet before entering).
The scarf thing is nice because it is fashionable as well as warm in cold museums, etc.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 10:15 AM

"I'm frequently appalled at the attire of some people in churches, particularly my own."

There can't be many Catholic churches in Washington state that attract tourists. So presumably you're describing other regular members of your congregation.

Precisely where, when Christ said "do this in commemoration of me" did He add a rider about "only if Miss Manners approves your clothes"? Certainly in no version of Holy Writ used on this side of the Atlantic

Can I suggest a few minutes with St Luke? Chapter 18, verses 9-14, would be a nice place to start.