Search

More questions for our May Germany/Austria trip

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More questions for our May Germany/Austria trip

Hi all,
after much reading and thinking (possibly too much), I am considering changing my plans for our May trip.
We were going to spend 8 nights in Austria/Germany alps, 2 nights in Rothenburg O.D.T. 1 night in Bamberg and 4 nights in Munich.
We, actually I, since I do the planning, have now decided to stay in alps area for 10 nights and Munich 5 nights. We will leave the 'burgs' for another trip.
What do you think about 4 nights Bertchesgaden, 1 night Hallstatt, 3 nights Fuessen, and 2 nights Mittenwald? Drop the car in Garmich and take the train to Munich for the last 5 nights?
Please give me your thoughts , pro or con on this. There are just so many villages that I want to visit in the alpine region that I believe the extra 2 nights there will make a difference.

One question on a different topic. I will need to buy a jacket. I live on the gulf coast, so the only coat that I own is a blazer. How heavy a coat will I probably need the last 2 weeks of May?

Thanks so much for taking time to help me.

Theresa
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 08:54 AM
tod

duncmom - About the jacket. I always travel with a lightweight rainproof/wind resistant black jacket. It is smart enough to wear to any restaurant at night and never creases no matter how much you squeeze it into a suitcase. It has a light padding between the lining and is not overly hot.
I bought it in a regular chain store for ladieswear called Queenspark (South Africa).
Besides my jacket which I don't use everyday when travelling I make use of a windproof sleevless jacket which is very thin and rolls up into a tiny bundle which I can stuff into my purse(handbag) when the day warms up. Thats the best thing I have ever taken on a trip.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 12:13 PM

duncmom,

This is just my opinion, but I don't think I would change hotels between Füssen and Mittenwald. They're just not that far apart, unless you just want to. I might be more inclined to stay somewhere like Oberammergau for all 5 nights, which is roughly between the two.

Also, I dislike single overnights, so I would probably do Berchtesgaden 4 nights, Hallstatt 2 nights and Oberammergau 4 nights.

That said, your plan, as you have it is certainly doable.

Have fun!
H
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 12:30 PM

From Berchtesgaden you can easily daytrip to the Salzkammergut region including, of course, Hallstatt. So I suggest 5 nights in the hills somewhere outside Berchtesgaden.

We spent a week in a chalet in the lovely Leutaschtal above Mittenwald and were able to reach all the many villages you want to see (and the Zugspitze too).

My scenario would be 5 nights in each of the three places...
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 02:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,
Plan is very very good but I'd suggest a change or two. From Berchtesgaden area (we stayed in the village of Ramsau) a day trip to Hallstatt is very easy. Also worthwhile visits based in the Berchtesgaden area are...
Ludwig's Herrenchiemsee Palace (castle)
Salzburg
Bad Reichenhall
Konigssee
Zell am See, Austria
I agree that Fuessen and Mittenwald aren't that far apart, unless you really want to spend time in each, I'd choose Mittenwald as a base. Gorgeous village. From here Innsbruck, Hall in Tirol (we actually went out to dinner in Hall while staying in Mittenwald, less than 1 hour each way), Garmisch (and the Zugspitze), Ettal, Linderhof, etc. are easy. Even the Sud Tirol (Italy) is very doable for a day. What I'm trying to say, I guess, is that I'd probably go with 5 nights in 3 locations also.

Paul
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 03:27 PM

We recently spent 3 days in Berchtesgaden in September. We wished we'd had a couple more days. We spent most of one day visiting Hitler's Eagles Nest and most of another day doing a boat trip on Koenigsee as well as a visit to the Pilgrimage Church of Maria Gern. We really liked staying in Berchtesgaden. It's a great little town to walk around, lots of neat shops as well as the Schloss that you can visit.

You can do day trips to Salzburg as well as Hallstatt from Berchtesgaden. However, we have stayed IN Hallstatt at least a half dozen times and really enjoy being there after the tour buses leave. It shouldn't be too crowded the end of May unless it's a holiday weekend.

In May 2008, you have two holidays:
17 May Ascension
28 May Whit Monday
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 03:39 PM

Five nights in Munich sounds a bit long - what are you planning to see there? We thought three nights was more than plenty. And I agree with the recommendation not to stay in Fussen as I found it quite charmless.

We were in Munich in 2006 the last two weeks in May and it was quite cold. I wore a leather spring coat with a big sweater and a tshirt underneath along with a big scarf. So I would say dress in layers.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 03:48 PM

I agree with the others above. We spent 5 nights near Berchtesgaden (in Schonau) and easily drove to Salzburg several times (about 20 minute drive) and daytripped to Hallstatt (under an hour). Because of their close proximity I would just stay in the Berchtesgaden region and daytrip to Hallstatt or vice versa.

Our visit was in early May a few years ago and there were very few tourists out, particularly in towns like Hallstatt where we seemingly had the town to ourselves.

I also agree about staying in either Fussen or Mittenwald, as they too are faily close and easy to get to from one another.

Best wishes,
Tracy
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 05:15 AM
ira

HI D,

> What do you think about 4 nights Bertchesgaden, 1 night Hallstatt, 3 nights Fuessen, and 2 nights Mittenwald?

I would do 2 nights in B, and 3 in Hallstatt.

Spend one day driving through the Salzkammergut.

You might find my trip report helpful:
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=35014078

Enjoy your visit.

Old Dec 5th, 2007, 08:05 AM

I know what Ira is saying. There is a lot to do around the Hallstatt area too. We just spent 3 days in St. Gilgen on Wolfgangsee and it was absolutely gorgeous.

However, as you've already determined, you can't do everything. It's taken us at least 4 trips to Germany to see not even half of what we want to see.

With 3 nights in Berchtesgaden, you could still do the Eagles Nest and the boat trip on Konigssee, both of which I highly recommend if the weather is decent, and still have time to enjoy the town itself.

With the 3 nights in Hallstatt, you could visit Wolfgangsee or any of the other lovely lakes in the area, as well as the town of Bad Ischl.

You can see photos of the Berchtesgaden and Hallstatt areas in our German photo albums. Just go to www.webshots.com and do a search for dkubiak.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input. I already see that I need about an extra month just for the region that I want to visit.
Betty, I love your pictures. I want to move to St. Gilgen!
If we base ourselves in Mittenwald for 5 nights will we be able to go to the castles from there? That was the only reason that I was going to base in Fussen for a couple of nights.
Is Garmish an easy enough drive from Mittenwald at night if we want to go out for some touristy oom-pa-pa.
Also, some one suggested that we were staying too long in Munich. It is my understanding that there are enough museums, bier gardens, etc, to keep one busy for more than a week.
Also, we are planning to take the train to Andechs Monastary for the beer and pork while we are in Munich and also take the train to Dauchau.
I also don't normally like to spend just one night in a place, but it worked out a few years back in Ireland to give us time to drive from Clifden to Dingle, by allowing us to stop about 20 times along the way (when I saw something that I wanted to get out and see). That was my thought on Hallstatt. That it would let us go through St. Gilgen, etc. without being rushed.
Thanks again,
Theresa

Old Dec 5th, 2007, 03:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Thersa,
You can get to the castles from Mittenwald. Our very first trip we visited Neuschwanstein from Innsbruck.
Mittenwald to Garmisch is a very easy 20 min. drive.
Andechs - I would visit Andechs on the drive from Mittenwald to Munich. You'll be pasiing by and you'll have plenty of time. (Mittenwald to Munich is only 2 hrs.)
We visited Hallstatt last Oct ("06) from Ramsau (Berchtesgaden) and it took about an hour and a half. We definitely didn't feel rushed, as Hallstatt is very small. We had plenty of time and stopped in Salzburg for dinner before returning to Ramsau. Our recent photos of these areas are at...
www.worldisround.com/home/pja1/travel11.html

Hope ths helps.

Paul
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 03:08 PM

You have certainly picked a lovely area for your vacation. I would include a night or two in Salzburg. You won't need more than a night in Fussen since the two castles are pretty much what there is to see there. If you think about thatarea as having Fussen on the West and Bertschesgaden on the Est with Garmish and Mittenwald pretty much in the middle you can make your plans from there.

The sights to see from West to East are Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau in Fussen, then Wiessekirche, Oberammergau, Linderhof, Ettal Monastary, Garmish, Mittenwald, Bertschesgaden, Herren Chiemsee, and Salzburg (you will have to forgive being a litte off of the West-East thing because they are not all in a straight line). The distance, as a crow flies, from Fussen to Salzburg is only a little over 100 miles.

Munich does have a lot to keep you occupied depending on your interests. If you tell us what you like to do we might be able to advise you how to budget your Munich time.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 03:46 PM

While you can visit Andechs monastery by train from Munich, it will require an 1hr uphill hike from the train station. So if that is not really your cup of tea, I would also suggest to do it by car.
I would not go there on a sunny May weekend since it's a very popular day trip destination, and the restaurants and beer gardens will be crowded.

A much lesser known yet more impressive church is Diessen monestary, on the Western shores of Ammersee/ Lake Ammer (can you translate it that way into English?) - not more than a 15min drive from Andechs.

I also find Mittenwald much nicer than Füssen. But you may want to take a warmer jacket for the evenings with you since Mittenwald's elevation is almost 3000ft, or when you decide to take one of the cablecars to the mountain tops. Weather is unpredictable since you will be in the mountains, though sunny days with daytime temps in the lower 70s would be "normal", and while an odd snow shower might be possible, it would not be "normal".
I often hike in that part of the mountains, and I usually wear a rainproof (Goretex or similar) jacket with a removable warmer inner jacket.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 08:41 AM

As far as weather...I visited the Berlin area in late May 2006. Early in the month before I got there it was around 90F. When I arrived it got really cold and was in the 40s most days. I froze to death because I didn't pack anything more than a light jacket. Before you leave use weather.com and check the 10 day forecast for Germany. That should give you an idea of how heavy a jacket you will need.
Have fun!