More Crete car rental questions...

Old Jul 26th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More Crete car rental questions...

I'm trying to make a decision about a car rental for mid September for 4 days, starting in Chania and ending in Iraklion, and the range in both prices and options has my head spinning. I've contacted numerous places, and have found that a number of places don't do dropoffs, at least not in that short a time.

Here are the places that have written back to me with prices; all seem to be all-inclusive, and I'm shooting for a compact-style car (group B or C):

-Alianthos - 170 euros (most expensive, but also most clearly written email, which I find very helpful, and quickest to respond with quote)

-Athens Rent A car- 155 euros, with dropoff -( most negative comments for the cars that have been rented)

-Bestcars - 145 euros - (Someone mentioned this place, but I see no feedback)

-Autoway - 150 euros (wants cash -- have some questions over car signage which someone mentioned. I don't know what that looks like).

I also sent a query to Europeo Cars, which had a favorable comment and supposedly good prices.

Feedback ranges from okay to fair for Athens rent a car, and limited comments on the others. I would GREATLY appreciate hearing from others if they've had any experiences with the above, good or bad. I want to wrap this up soon.

I'm posting this on Tripadvisor as well, so don't be surprised if this looks familiar! No need to respond twice, though

Many thanks again for all the help,

Paule
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 11:22 PM

Just used Anna Cars last week...picked it up in Chania and dropped in Heraklion. 4 days as well . Great service...and reasonably priced. Would highly recommend!
cheers
CC
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Original Poster

Anna cars is all booked up for my time frame! I wrote to them a month ago!

I wonder if that's true or they didn't want to rent for a short period of time, though.

Paule
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 02:53 AM

No matter what people here say about this small local car rentals, i would only recommend the big reliable ones, even though they cost more.
I have lived in Crete and i know how these small car rentals are working. The problems start from the moment that you will have an accident...you can wait for hours for them to come and help you. Have seen that happening very often,i could see some of their names in your list.
My advice, go with Avis or Budget or Hertz or National, compare their rates book the lowest one and i am sure you won't regret it.
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 08:18 AM

Hi Paule
I think clausar has given good advice as the big guys should be predictable.
Having said that we have used Athens Cars twice. First time picked up at Heraklion airport and dropped it off at the same place after 14 days,
Second time last year they picked us up at Chania airport and took us to their depot and after 15 minutes we were off. This rental was 4 days and we dropped it off at Heraklion ferry port. There was no charge for the drop off. There is a small spot directly in front of the ferry terminal for car rental returns. There was no one there to meet us. They told us to leave the keys under the drivers floor mat and walk away and they would pick it up later. Just to make everything clear when you pick up the car in Chania, let them know this is what you are going to do on drop off.

Athens cars have been very prompt in responding have less expensive cars and full insurance. Having said that we never dinged up a car so I cannot comment on what their service is like in the event of an accident.
Lastly the cars we rented were not new. They were at least 2 or 3 model years old and had a few dents and scratches. Absolutely no mechanical problems. My choice is to go with a reliable company with the most coverage at the best price. I really do not care about the age of the car as long as it gets me where I am going.
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback - reserving with a larger company does make sense. I've just reserved with Economy Car rentals and hopefully, it will be finalized. It was the best price, too.

Paule
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 11:32 PM

Have just checked their rates, and it is amazing that after changing the country of origin, the price for 4 days got cheaper from 170 to 100 Euro... all inclusive....
this is really a steal !!!!!! ( a shame that the rate doesn't apply to Greek clients...)
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 01:51 AM
Original Poster

Just received my voucher -- I can't believe how much cheaper it is!

I'll let you know how it goes when I get back!