Search

Montmartrobus

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Montmartrobus

I am weighing all alternatives for getting to the Sacre Coeur. My husband doesn't do steps well, so I was looking at the Montmartrobus. I looked at RATP's info on it, including the route, but still have a couple questions:

1. Will taking it save us any time, or let us avoid any steps, or does it go to the same place as the funicular? If we get off around on the other side (Place du Tertre), will we have an easier time?
2. It looks to be a big white bus. Is it marked Montmartobus, or have a bus number? Will it be obvious when I see the bus stop, and see the bus?!

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 03:31 PM

It does not have a number, as other RATP routes do, and you will readily recognize it at any of its stopping points.

One of its stops (Funiculaire) is at the same place as the funicular. You should not have any substantial difference in steps either way. However, the bus route could let you travel from some distance away, depending on where you will start from.
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 03:48 PM

It can be a kick, too. One evening we took it from near the Moulin Rouge (Place Pigalle)in the early evening. It was packed with wait staff, and entertainers in costume, who were going up the hill to work. What a jolly group! Even though it was too crowded to sit, the trip was truly a fun experience.

Look at the map of the route, and you will see it lets you off at the Place du Tetre. Few, if any, climbing of steps involved.

http://www.ratp.info/orienter/f_plan...ris/&nompdf=08
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 03:55 PM

I had to take it last year when the funicular was broken. The circuitous route took forever and the bus was so crowded. Standing I don't mind but the claustrophobia really got to me.
You can take the metro to Abesses. Take an elevator up to the top as this metro is way, way under the hill. Walk a short distance, (a few steps up), to the funicular which costs another metro ticket. The funicular takes you to the top of the hill.There are more steps at this point but the bus would drop you in almost the same place. You could take the little train that runs around the top of the Montmatre once you get off the funicular which can take arount the tourist areas and help avoid some steps and steeper climbing. Either way there will be some steps up to the church itself which you cannot avoid.
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 04:46 PM

Why not just take the funicular?
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. Maybe we'll take the bus up (or I suppose it's down from the Marie de 18 stop?), walk around, and then take the funicular down to Abesses. (It does take passengers down, too, right?!)

One more unrelated question: I notice there is a carnet of 10 tickets for a reduced price. Is that for senior citizens, weekend use, or what? The way Google translated the RAPT site, I couldn't tell.
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 07:04 PM

The carnet is not "for a reduced price" really. I guess it's cheaper than buying each ticket individually, but no one does that anyway. It's a packet of 10 tickets and no, it's not for senior citizens or weekend use or anything special - it's just 10 tickets that you buy in a packet. Anyone can use them, and you should, unless there's some RATP pass that is specifically economical for what your travel plans are.

Of course the funicular comes down too. What do you think would happen to the cars if it didn't?
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 04:43 AM
ira

Hi rrr,

http://www.ratp.info/touristes/index...=montmartrobus will tell you all that you need to know.

We took the bus up from Place Pigalle, past Sacre Cour to the end of the line. There was a 15 min wait to recharge the bus, and then we got off at SC.

We then walked down to Abesses and took the metro from there.

If DH can walk <i>down</i> stairs, there is no need to take the funicular.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jun 17th, 2010, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Hi St.Cirq! Yep, I know what goes up must come down, but I was just checking - in case it's a very weird situation where they go down with nobody on them! Anyway, I know about the carnet of 10 tickets, and will likely buy one. However, I thought that there was another booklet of 10 tickets that was listed on the RAPT web site beneath the regular booklet, so I was curious about that. It really doesn't matter, though - just my curiosity kicking in more than anything else!

Ira, thanks. I just might do what you did - might be fun to see a little more of Montmartre on the bus. And yes, I know that "fun" for people who work there and have to ride it every day and "fun" for tourists can be two different things!
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Just to clarify what I wrote above, RAPT site says you can buy a ten T+ tickets for 11.90, and next line says says "tarif reduit" for 5.90. For English translation, it says "reduced price." My husband turns 60, plus we'll be there on a Saturday, so I was just curious what the reduced tariff applied to!
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 06:40 AM

The website explains who's eligible for the reduction (and also says they are only available for residents of Paris):

Le ticket t+ à tarif réduit 50%
Qui peut en bénéficier ?

* les enfants, de 4 ans à moins de 10 ans

* les titulaires d’une carte Améthyste "demi-tarif"

* les titulaires d’un forfait Solidarité Transport

* les titulaires d'une carte "Familles nombreuses" de couleur bleue délivrée par la SNCF

* les groupes d’au moins 10 jeunes de moins de 16 ans et leur accompagnateur* ou les élèves des collèges et lycées, classe de terminale incluse, qui se déplacent en groupes de 10 et qui sont accompagnés d’un enseignant* (cette réduction n’est pas valable dans les bus et trams).

Au-delà de 10 jeunes, il peut y avoir un accompagnateur pour 10 ou fraction de 10 en excédent. Un imprimé "demande de transport" est disponible dans toutes les stations du métro et gares du RER. Il doit être rempli par le responsable du groupe. Après validation, cette demande est uniquement utilisable pour le jour et les trajets indiqués, sans possibilité d’arrêt en cours de voyage. Elle ne constitue pas par elle-même un titre de transport mais seulement une justification du droit au tarif réduit. Elle doit être présentée à tout contrôle en même temps que les billets à tarif réduit détenus par chacun des membres du groupe.
* L'enseignant ou l'accompagnateur bénéficie également du demi-tarif.

* les aveugles civils, titulaires d'une carte d'invalidité "aide sociale aux aveugles et grands infirmes" portant la mention "cécité" et accompagnée d'un coupon de passage pour le guide.

* les mutilés de guerre, titulaires d’une carte de priorité de la Préfecture de Police ou d’invalidité de l’Office national des anciens combattants et victimes de guerre à simple ou double barre bleue ou rouge présentée
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 08:05 AM
tod

Ruth - just incase you are under the impression the carnet of tickets comes in a booklet-type - they don't. The person behind the glass just hands you 10 loose tickets. Whatever you do, don't keep the used ones and mix them up with new ones!
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 09:01 AM

Buying a carnet of (ten) tickets will save you 20% compared to purchasing individual tickets.

Montmartrobus is a terrific way to explore Montmartre and avoid stairs. Sometimes, the buses are crowded and far apart. (I read somewhere that there are fewer buses because they're no longer being manufactured, so often out of service for maintenance/repairs.)

The route originates at Marie du 18, so no problem getting seats. If you get off at Utrillo stop, it's just around a curve from the top of the Finicular. If you ride that down to Abbesses (where there are lots of cafes for refreshments and a rest), there's an elevator in that metro station, so no stairs. Or, you can walk west (flat) to rue Caulaincourt and take Bus #80.
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 12:03 PM

The Carnets I bought had the 10 tickets held together with a rubber band. Be sure to keep your ticket until you exit the metro and then you can throw it away. My girl friend kept putting hers in a pocket and then would, as mentioned above, get the used ticket confused with the new tickets. She finally figured it out. LOL
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Oh, thanks so much, everyone. It looks like there are tons of options here. A couple more questions;
St.Cirq (thanks for the explanation of the reduced tariff!):
Some guide books (may be old - I got them from our library!) mention a carte mobilis and some mention a Paris Visite pass. Are there two different things, or has there just been a name change? I think we'll just end up purchasing a carnet or two, but I was just curious, as I don't think RAPT mentions both.

I thought I read that you could also take Metro to Anvers as well as Abbesses to get to Sacre Coeur. Is this a longer way than Abbesses?
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 07:40 AM
ira

Hi rrr,

The Abesses metro is a very, very long way below the street level. There are elevators to take you up, but they are not always operable. here is a stairwell, but unless you are a mountain climber type, you only want to go down.

The metro map is available at www.ratp.fr
Direct link is
http://www.ratp.info/orienter/f_plan...df=metro&lang=