Swissotel Watergate metro/bus question

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 06:18 AM
Margaret

Swissotel Watergate metro/bus question

Hello,
Should I plan to walk to the FOggy Bottom-GWU metro from the hotel? Is it safe enough after dark? Are there any busses besides the ones on Pennsylvania avenue that service the hotel? What would a taxi cost to go to the Navy Memorial (Constitution and Penn. Ave)? Is there a map anywhere showing the taxi zones? Thanks for any help!

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 06:55 AM
r-travels

I would walk to Foggy Bottom. Or walk to Kennedy Center and take their shuttle to Foggy Bottom. Area seemed quite safe last May. http://rideguide.wmata.com will show you how to get to various places, including the walking, bus, and/or metro parts of the trip. I don't know about the taxi zones, sorry. (there is no X in my REAL eddress)

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 07:00 AM
Tia

Margaret:

Try this site for a map/bus clarification: www.wmata.com

I found it helpful in planning my last trip. I've been to D.C. twice and felt perfectly safe both times. We walked to all Metro stops, however there are plently of bus stops, too. You can get a transfer ticket at the metro stop you get off at. There are little machines to get them at near the entrance/exit where you slide your ticket into the little gate thing. You just press a button and the ticket comes out. I think you get a bus transfer for 25 cents with the ticket on the Metro buses. Otherwise I believe it's 50 cents. We actually walked to Foggy Bottom Metro quite a few times. For whatever reason, we always ended up there!! We even walked at night on both trips. Probably not the best thing to do, but the areas we were in were good neighborhoods and people were walking around still at 9-10 p.m. You have to be smart just as you have to when you go anywhere. If I can help any further, just post or drop me an e-mail. Hope this helps.

Tia

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Ann

It's safe to walk. There are usually people around at all hours since you have GW right there, and one of the dorms (formerly the Howard Johnson) is right across the street from the Watergate.

I've always been confused by the bus transfer thing. The first time I tried it, many years ago, the bus driver wouldn't honor my transfer, as he said I had to get it at the station where I boarded the train, not where I got off. Don't know as I've tried it since. Maybe someone else can enlighten me.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 08:58 AM
Tia

I was told to get the transfer ticket at the metro stop you get off at. We got the transfers, but ended up walking instead. I'm wondering if the Metro web site tells which is correct.

Tia

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 09:29 AM
r-travels

You get a transfer ticket at the station you BOARD the train at, as proof that you actually took the train. (otherwise, one could just ask someone at a station to pass them a ticket). Tickets from the station you depart from are not honored by buses serving that station. I've gotten in the habit of just grabbing a ticket whenever I board. BTW, the transfer tix are good for 25cent ride to Georgetown on Georgetown Shuttles departing Rosslyn & Dupont. (there is no X in my REAL eddress)