Reload this Page >

San Diego Hilton on Harbor Drive

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 04:25 AM
Josie

Help!! My husband and I used priceline to book this hotel. They charge $13 per day for parking our rental car. Any suggestions for cheaper parking close to the hotel would be appreciated.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 05:19 AM
katie

Not sure if there's parking on the street near the hotel. You could park at the airport (less than a mile away) and take the Hilton shuttle.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 06:20 AM
kayd

It is hard to avoid hotel parking fees because if parking were free and plentiful nearby, the hotel wouldn't charge for it. They seem to charge just enough more than nearby garages that you absorb the extra $2-5 for the convenience.
I recently paid $23/day in LA and $32/day in Boston to park at hotels, but figured that since I had saved hundreds on the rooms with Priceline, I was still better off than if I had stayed in a distant, cheap motel with free parking.
Also note the possibility that at the hotel you'd probably pay by the day, but if you chose another facility, you could pay as much or more by going in and out twice in one day.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 07:46 AM
x

what a rip off.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 09:20 AM
x

FYI, it costs more than $13/day to park at the SD airport. Hardly any parking available there so they encourage you not to park there long term by charging $$$. There are nearby airport off site lots but I think it would be a huge hassle.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Car

I paid more to park my car at the hotel ($39/d) than the rental fee ($29/d) recently.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 09:34 AM
kayd

I certainly don't like the high parking fees, but as a city dweller, I'm used to paying for parking, whether in garages or at meters (which is why I walk or use the subway to get around nearly all the time time). I'm sure hotel parking fees come as a shock, though, to people unaccustomed to big cities. The closer you are to the center of things, the more you can expect to pay, I guess.

Does anyone have experience getting free hotel parking in cities like NYC, Chicago, DC, San Fran (other than with special-promotion packages)?