credit card smart chip

Search

credit card smart chip

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
credit card smart chip

I just returned from a trip to France,Belgium and Amsterdam. While trying to purchase train tix at the station in Paris...my credit card was denied. After several more attempts..and asking a passerby for assistance.. we determined my credit card did not have the "standard in France" smart chip. Same thing (although I was expecting it)at the automatic gas pump. I was (am) surprised I didn't see more "warning" of this on this board before. I did a smart card search before posting this and only find a post or two. I didn't really make for much of a hassle...just wish I had known ahead of time.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 10:04 AM

You'd think the Europeans would make it easier for tourists to leave their money with them - like by offering a "vacation" Smart Card that could be obtained before going overseas and recharged easily from a bank account......naaah.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 10:08 AM
ira

They don't beause all Europeans hate us, Robe.

Old Oct 30th, 2006, 10:11 AM

The non chip/pin card beeing denied is not specific to France and you have the same situation in all EU countries (especially UK/France).
In 2008, only chip an PIN cards will still be accepted in Europe
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 10:13 AM

Ws should pass laws to ban all americans from using paper money in Europe. Coins only, think that would be fun!
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 10:22 AM

There have actually been several posts about this issue on this board, at least in regards to gas stations in France. So I guess that is a "warning". Also many posts about how you can't use a nonchip card in automatic machines in the train station. But you certainly can buy train tickets with a US CC at the ticket windows in French train stations. This isn't really much of a problem, it would have only taken up an extra minute at the train station when one finds out your card won't work, and then you would move to a window. That kind of thing can happen with machines for all kinds of reasons, anyway, including the machine just not working. Even if you are warned (and I knew it from history), I always give it a try anyway to see if it works this time. Although it never has, but it doesn't take more than a few seconds to find that out.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 11:11 AM

If you are correct that only chip and pin cards can be used starting '08. How is the rest of the world going to charge anything in euro land.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 11:26 AM

Chip and PIN (EMV standard) is a worldwide tendency - Most countries offer chip and PIN cards - Visa and Mastercard are participants in the EMV scheme
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 02:20 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
ourjetboat: &quot;<i> was (am) surprised I didn't see more &quot;warning&quot; of this on this board before.</i>&quot; In fact thare have been many, <b>MANY</b> mentions of this issue on Fodors. It comes up nearly every day (several times some days).

Seldom is the exact term &quot;smart card&quot; used - but even if it was, the search function is fairly lame and probably would not locate all mentions.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 03:05 PM

So what do we do in 2008 when that is the only card accepted? Seems to me like it will kill tourism.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 03:38 PM

Actually, people managed to travel and pay for things long before credit cards were even invented! Yes, believe it or not, credit cards have not always existed. It's not as convenient without credit cards, but a real rugged survivor type can manage.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 03:41 PM

In fact,in Europe, nobody wants credit cards nobody needs credit cards and many businesses don't accept credit cards. What's so bad about Maestro anyway?
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 03:48 PM

Can a person from France use their &quot;chipped&quot; card in N.A. ?
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 04:00 PM

I can't find anything on VISA or MasterCard web sites about &quot;chip &amp; PIN&quot; cards. I have read where they issue them but nothing on the web-site about how an American can get one to use overseas. I understand that your ATM card will soon have to be &quot;chip &amp; PIN&quot; in Europe.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 04:14 PM

Hello all.

Can someone please clear something up for me....

1) It seems the problem is only in &quot;unattended&quot; places...e.g., automated machines at train stations and gas stations. If there is an attendant there, no problem.

2) I assume my debit card will still work as normal in ATMs.

Are those correct statements?

Thanks,

Kevin
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 04:19 PM

I recieved my first &quot;chip&amp;PIN&quot; card in 1994!! Wonder what happens when you ask your &quot;stone age&quot; bank what they did in the last 12 YEARS to make your banking more secure?
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 04:25 PM

There have been mentions of the chip from others on Fodor's.

Some time ago I gave advice to one Fodor's inquirer to get a bank account at ABN AMRO, The Netherlands and get a 'Wereldpas' to facilitate long term travel in Europe. I used that card on my 30 day January trek. It is handy and saves a sock full of cash compared to drawing money from the USA.

My ABN AMRO bank card, which would be called an ATM card and increasingly a debit card in the USA, has had a chip for at least the past 5 years. It is popular with merchants who do not accept credit cards. With a chip your money flows instantly and directly from your bank account to the merchant so it bypasses our dear friends Amex, Visa, and MC. Sob, sob, oh sob.

Those who do not have a bank account in Europe should not panic. You can still use cash over there.

But to put this into perspective, the chip is really most useful for buying tickets at railroad station ticket machines, for buying gasoline, and when paying for dinner in many down home good family restaurants. Merchants of slick discretionary and expensive goods are more likely to accept one or all of the three sobs. (Please don't read more into this term than a good cry. I'm told that cuss words are bad and I believe that.)

The Europeans are not trying to chase away the Americans. I'm sure that they hardly know that our plastic won't work in some of their systems. As long as the three sobbers have anything to say about it you can bet your Mother against the moon that this will not change.

Old Oct 30th, 2006, 06:19 PM

Kevin: Besides gas stations and ticket kisoks, our chip-less credit card was rejected at the grocery store in Paris. We had no problems with our ATM cards.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 06:26 PM

Angela, thanks much!
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 09:56 PM

ATM still work with a magnetic stripe card and most stores still have an old payment terminal able to accept non chipped card.

To answer a previous question : yes, non north American cards work in the USA (they have a chip AND a magnetic stripe).

What will north americans do after the rest of the world goes chip an pin ? i'm sure they'll find a way (i suspect Visa and Mastercard will offer 'travellers cards' for them going abroad ), just think about what happens with non GSM mobile phone system, 110 Volts electric appliances, imperial mesure system, ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -