Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Montevecchio Bis Apartment, Rome - Review

Montevecchio Bis
Vicola Montevecchio 2
Rome

We rented 2 apartments in Rome for the week of December 26 through January 2 (2007/2008). This one, plus the Piazza Montevecchio, which was just around the corner. We rented both through Sleep in Italy. 9 of us were scheduled to be there, but unfortunately only 7 made the trip.

The people at Sleep in Italy were simply great. I mean that in every way. Over the course of 6 months, I canceled and changed our reservations and requirements at least 5 times. There was never a problem with these kind people. Guilia and Manuela were extremely helpful and patient. They answered emails and phone calls quickly and there were never any hidden “surprises”.

The apartment was as described and no real problems. It is small, with it done actually as a loft bedroom over a small, combo lounging room/bedroom area. It sleeps 4 and that is all. You could do 5 if you were a family with small kids.

The location could not be better. 100 meters to Navonna, 30 meters to Coronari, 10 minutes to Tiber or Pantheon. It was absolutely quiet, as the apartment has no windows and is located inside the building. But there is a central open kind of terrace area at the entry of the apartment. Traffic is no concern. There are tons of great restaurants, 3 markets and several internet cafes within a minute or two of the apartment. It is a neat view and yes you can see St. Peters dome, just barely.

The apartment is on the 2nd floor (American) and is accessed by either a short flight of stairs or an elevator. The apartment owner lives on the same floor, seems very nice and speaks no English.

I'll start at the top and go down. The bedroom is an open loft, so no real privacy. The bed is large and very comfortable. There is, however, a large wooden beam running right across the ceiling, so if you are near 6 feet tall, WATCH OUT.

Off of the bedroom is a good sized, full bath. Toilet/Bidet and large, bathtub/shower combo. Now the problem, hot water is a real chore. You turn on the faucet and wait about 5 minutes. Then turn it off and wait another 5 minutes. Then turn it back on at no more than a medium flow, you will probably find you want it all the way over to the hot side to get reasonably hot water. Not a big deal, but be aware of it.

I can't call the living room a living room. I'd call it a “lounging area”, as it is pretty small. It has a convertible sofa thing that turns into a large, pretty comfortable double bed. If you have it open, that is about 3/4s of the footprint of the entire room. Closed, it could sit 3 or 4. Our daughter's family used this apartment, with 2 kids, so they just left it open all the time.

There is also a little table with 4 folding chairs, but I have no idea how 4 people could sit around the table, it is pretty small.

The kitchen is large, open and nicely done. In fact, I'd have to say all of the furnishings were either modern or tastefully antique. Off of the kitchen is a decent sized half-bath that also holds the washer. The kids never used their washer, so I can't report on it.

While this apartment is much, much smaller than Piazza Montevecchio apartment, in many ways it was a nicer apartment. It seemed better taken care of and was much easier to access for old-farts, like us. The price was fantastic.

I'd rent this one again, without question. On a scale of 1-5, I'd give it a 4.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 12:46 PM

Dave, thanks for the report. I'm staying in this apartment in July, so I'm glad to have the details. I guess I just need to allow ten extra minutes when I want to take a shower!
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

One thing I must clarify. I was copying some parts from my other review and accidentally put in the part about seeing St. Peters. Sorry, but that is not correct. There are no windows to the outside, so no view from this one.

There is at least 1 AC that I saw, perhaps there is more. The TV is in the bedroom. The apartment is 10 meters from 2 great restaurants, both written up in the NY Times. Also, around the corner (30 meters away)is a small market and a larger one a couple of blocks away.

Buses are avail on Via Zinardelli, about 200 meters away. Good cheap little cafe is right at the bus stop.

Have fun...by the way, weren't we both at the Pantheon on Christmas Eve 2006?

dave
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 02:43 PM

Yes, we were both at the Pantheon that night!

Thanks for the additional info, especially the bus connections. I like to use the bus a lot in Rome.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 03:55 PM

Thanks for the review. We almost booked this apartment last November but ended up in the Via del Gesu apartment near the Pantheon instead. Our apartment was the same price as this one but much brighter with a terrace (the downside 86 steps with no elevator and a tiny shower).
Now looking for something similar in Venice....