Mont.St.Michel or Honfleur?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are spending two nights in Bayeux to take a Dday tour and see the tapestry museum. We are hoping to maybe rent a car, or a driver for a few hours Tuesday morning before we take the train back to Paris. We are thinking it would be lovely to drive to Honfleur and have a seafood lunch. Where? don't really know, but find a seaside spot. OR, we could drive to the abbey and see that. Any thoughts on which way to go? Thank you in advance.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 06:22 PM

Honfleur's port is surrrounded by cafés with good food and ambiance.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 07:16 PM

As described, you will not have enough time to visit Le Mont.

Keith
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 07:22 PM

I don't know if you will have time -- don't have enough knowledge about distances -- but I can tell you that IMO seeing Mont St. Michel is a once-in-a-lifetime event! Admittedly I have not been to Honfleur, but I find it hard to believe that there could be ANY comparison.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 07:26 PM

I agree, but you will need more than a few hours to get to Mont St-Michel from Bayeux and back again.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Well, I am asking which one...not both. Would love to do both, but probably can't. So, go north or south? Why is Mont St. Michel a once in a lifetime event? Is it better to go day, night or evening? Do you walk up to the Abbey or just see it from afar?
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 08:02 PM

Having been and slept in both towns-I would still pick MSM as my first choice but ONLY if you could spend the night when the tour bus people are not there.Since you only have a few hours which really isn't doable for visiting the mont and then heading back to Paris then perhaps you should keep heading towards Honfleur for the lunch.Is there anyway that you could included an extra day or so on your schedule? When we did our D Day trip we did 2 nights in Honfleur/2 in Bayeux/1 at MSM and then 2 nights in St. Malo(which we loved!). Mont St. Michel is one of those places that takes your breath away upon seeing it from the distance. When you are actually there and walking around it as the sun sets ,it becomes almost magical.Honfleur is cute but can be very touristy. There are so many great little restaurants that you will have no problem finding something you like. Have fun!
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 08:06 PM

MSM -- and I agree, stay into the evening or overnight. If you can't, consider saving it for a future trip. It's a wonderful experience, but I agree, evening and nighttime are worth going for!
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 08:48 PM

Definately stay an extra day and see MSM. It is the most incredible site!!! It is right up there with Machu Pichu as one of the most incredible engineering feats in the world!

http://www.normandy-tourism.org/gb/0...tStMichel.html

There is nothing like it anywhere in the world. It is an impregnable fortress that has never been taken by an enemy & the monastery is awe inspiring!

Forget Honfleur! If you want sea food stop in Cancale and eat oysters in a restaurant just across the street from the oyster beds!

Then if you have time go to St Malo. It is also a unique & incredible town. I have never seen anything like it either. I was there during a high tide & the water was splashing up over the walls & into the street! It was amazing & unbelieveable!!!!!!!!!

http://www.terragalleria.com/europe/.../brittany.html