Honfleur or Mont St Michel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Normandy for three days at the end of this month, staying in Bayeux. One day we'll tour D-Day sights; another, visit the Caen Museum and Bayeux. For our third day, what do Fodor Francophiles recommend? Honfleur, Mont St Michel or some other alternative? Thanks.
Old May 20th, 2006, 11:39 AM

Either would be excellent, but they're very different--Honfleur is an attractive fishing village, while Mont St-Michel is one of the most-visited sights in all of France. The drive from Bayeux to MSM is, of course, considerably longer, but it's an amazing place. If you have the time, that would be my first choice.
Old May 20th, 2006, 11:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Agree MSM is closer and once you see it, if it's crowded, you'll find the approach more exciting. In Honfleur you will have museums and art galleries
and good food
Old May 20th, 2006, 12:09 PM

As Underhill points out, they are very different and both marvelous...I guess it depends on your interests and previous experiences.

I have a special love for the Mont, having visited her many times in and out of season and been fortunate enough to get a private personal tour where public is normally not allowed with a Frère. There is no doubt in my mind she merits the title, "La Merveille". If we are in Brittany/Normandy we always have to stop in for the "Wow" effect it gives.

That being said, if you have never experienced a quaint fishing town (albeit now touristy) on the Atlantic, Honfleur is a magical place, expecially in the early morning when its sleepy and at sunset when its vibrant.

I asked my husband, and we both would choose Honfleur for it's overall appeal--better variety of restaurants, hotels, more to do/see culturally. Love walking along the quais and looking at the boats. For vacation relaxation it beats Mont St. Michel. Really, our only disappointment was at how tourist-laden it has become in recent years, and we manage to overlook that. Besides the Mont has the same problem.

Note that we have the luxury in answering you of having been thrilled to the depths by both these gems--they each stand on their own. Can't add another day? Since I'm not big on larger towns and having seen Caen, too, I would personally choose Honfleur over Caen, but agains that's going back to personal preferences/interests...I sympathize with your angst!
Old May 20th, 2006, 12:14 PM

Lest the Teachers (there are so many on this board) chastise me...I really do know the difference between its and it's--honest!

Have to get me another cup o' Joe!
Old May 20th, 2006, 02:02 PM

I would let the crowd factor make the decision. If you choose MSM be there as early as possible in the morning so that you can walk up the main street without the crowd. After you tour the abbey walk back down along the ramparts. Less crowded and many cafes.
I always wanted to see MSM and I'm glad I did, but I do not like major crowds and this place is packed by 11:00 a.m.
Honflleur has tourists yes, but more room to move around. Try to be there on Market day. I really liked Honfleur and enjoyed MSM but not the crowds, having been to both I would choose Hofleur for a return.
Old May 20th, 2006, 04:02 PM

Two excellent choices and if you have time for a near-by third choice make it Etretat.

Larry J
Old May 20th, 2006, 07:58 PM

You can avoid some of the crowds at MSM if you take the path that goes up along the ramparts rather than the main "street."
Old May 21st, 2006, 02:58 AM

MSM is one of a kind spot while Honfleur lovely as it is can be replace by many other small towns.After all this is a visit to Normandy, not to loll around.

I would eliminate Caen as it will take away from so much to see in Bayeux. Go to the DDay museum in Arromanches when you go to the beaches.
Old May 21st, 2006, 05:19 AM

You asked for opinions, so I'll share mine

MSM - touristy. was there many years ago. Has lost the 'allure' that it had. large tour buses overrunning the place

Honfleur - loved it last summer. touristy also, but many of them are Europeans. Doesn't feel like the tourist trap that is MSM. the restaurants along the harbor are magical for strolling, eating, and people watching.

Etretat - visited it last summer. loved climbing the cliffs. touristy also, but again, not Americans and large tour buses overrunning the place like MSM.

We skipped the Caen Museum. Many love the place, but I got the sense that about half of it was devoted to Cold War stuff and it gets very 'political' at the end. We enjoyed being outside and appreciating the 'natural' beauty of Etretat instead. (It was also fun going across the Pont de Normandy bridge).

We also did the D-Day beaches, but did a guided tour. Even though we knew alot about WWII (my Dad landed there), we still learned alot (www.victorytours.com). We loved our itinerary and we would it again:
- stayed Honfleur - walked around (esp. evenings)
- visited Etretat
- D-Day tour
- Bayeux (not a lot here, but some things)

have fun!
Old May 21st, 2006, 05:48 AM

If I could only do one it would be Honfleur. MSM is just TOO overrun with tourists and "junke" shops for my taste. Even in the evening, it's just not as nice I expected. There have been only two two places where I felt the crush of tourists made it not worth visiting and MSM is first on the list (Vatican Museum is second) Other places that I have seen advertised as "overrun" I have been able to deal with, but being PUSHED shoulder to shoulder through a site while tour guides YELL at thier clients pretty much ruins an expereince for me.
Old May 21st, 2006, 06:20 AM

To each his own and if "touristy" places turn you off that's fine but consider what makes a place "touristy". Only the most beautiful and interesting places are "touristy". They are nice so people like to go there and the next thing you know it's "touristy". I like touristy cause it beats the heck out of dull and uninteresting. I love MSM, Honfleur and Etretat tour buses and all.

Do whatever is fun for you.

Larry J
Old May 21st, 2006, 06:22 AM
Pausanias

I guess Mont St Michelle is in danger of becoming one of those places no one goes to anymore because it's so crowded, as Yogi Berra says.

Old May 21st, 2006, 06:27 AM

LarryJ, I agree with you... the tourists will go where the interests/views/sights are... that, in and of itself, does not make them bad.

There are some places, however, where I'll felt overrun with tourists (obviously I am one!). For me, those are places like MSM.

For example, we were recently in the south of France. I thought Eze Village was over-touristy and we couldn't wait to depart. However, Villefranche (which also has a large share of tourists), didn't bug me... I can't easily explain and I'm probably not making any sense, but that, to me, is the difference between MSM and Honfleur. Maybe its the influx of large tour buses ?

Does that make any more sense ? (Wait, don't answer that).
Old May 21st, 2006, 08:48 AM

The outstanding feature of Mont St-Michel is the abbey complex, way above the crowded street below. That's the reason to go to MSM; as for the crowds, remember that the place has for centuries has attracted pilgrims and still does, whether of a religious or sightseeing nature. The reason the Mont feels so crowded is that the main "street" that goes up toward the abbey is quite narrow; once you get up to the level of the church and the rest of the abbey complex it's not nearly as bad.

I've neard people complain about the crowds at Les Baux, only to discover that all they saw was the village complex. Once out on the plateau that holds the ruins of the once thriving town it's a very different matter.
Old May 21st, 2006, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your comments. At this point we're leaning toward Honfleur but will probably decide on the spur of the moment. It seems that we can't go wrong, whichever we choose.
Old May 21st, 2006, 10:00 AM

Just got back from Normandy area and I can assure you that Le Mont St. Michel is something to see for sure! There is nothing like it anywhere!!!
Old May 21st, 2006, 10:01 AM

BTW-the drive from Bayeux is only 1 1/2 hours and the countryside is gorgeous.
Old May 21st, 2006, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Hmmmm. I'm wavering again.
Old May 21st, 2006, 12:53 PM

You could probably visit both MSM and Honfleur in one day is you get to MSM early.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -