money, money, money ?

Search

money, money, money ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2006, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
money, money, money ?

we're booked on a Eurpoean cruise this fall, stopping in Venice, Dubrovnik, Santorini, Athens, Naples, Rome, Florence, Nice & Barcelona. I understand most of the tourist or populated areas take the usual credit cards. But, is it wise to keep a good supply of Euros available ? or travellers cheques ? are ATM's abundant ?

thanks
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 04:48 AM

Answers:

1.NO
2.NO
3.YES
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 04:49 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, ATMs are abundant. Many here, including myself, rely on credit cards and ATMs exclusively. Travelers' checks are very inconvenient and must be cashed at a bank. Some take a few travelers' checks in dollars (assuming you are coming from the US) as backup and bring them home at the end of the trip, where they can be exchanged back into dollars. Some also get a starter supply of euros before arrival, which can be done at the departure airport.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 04:53 AM

VISA and MasterCard are widely accepted, however, no other credit card.
However, for small shops, bars, souvenir stands etc. you need cash. Use the ATMs.
Make sure to have some Euros in your wallet when you disembark the vessel. You may need cash immediately for bus tickets, taxi drivers etc. You can get cash at the ship's cashier.
Forget travellers cheques. There are not accepted in Europe.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 05:31 AM

Trveller1959 said of travllers cheques: They are not accepted in Europe.
RUBBISH! I take travellers cheques on most, if not all, family holidays(not business trips), which, the last 2 years apart, have been exclusively in Europe.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 05:35 AM
ira

>VISA and MasterCard are widely accepted, however, no other credit card.

Hmmmm, why don't the people who take my AMEX card know this?

Old Jun 15th, 2006, 05:54 AM

Doonhammer,
Yes, traveller's cheques can be used...the three questions, however, would be:
1. What does it cost you to convert them to euros?
2. Do you need to plan your schedule around finding a bank during business hours?
3. If you are out of the major cities into the countryside can you easily find a place to convert them?

ATMs are becoming the easiest and , with planning, most cost effective.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 06:02 AM

If you use the ship's bank/purser, it will cost you in fees/lousy exchange rate.

Use the ATM's ashore to get your Euro.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 06:20 AM

Use the ATMs at your first airport in Euro-land -- probably less of a line than you'll find when a ship docks.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 06:52 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
ATM's are the way to go. That said, I wouldn't want to spend time searching out bank machines at each & every port. So as suggested, at the beginning of the trip (your first airport maybe?) take a big withdrawl so you'll have euro available.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 06:55 AM

You can cash the travellers checks on the ship.
I get some Euros at my local bank before leaving so I am ready as soon as we hit land. The currency charge is about 10-12cents more per $1 but you have it to start you out. I worry that the ATM will be out of order just when I need it
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 09:31 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just because someone has always taken Travelers Checks, doesn't make them a good idea.

You will pay through the nose to cash/exchange them on board and ashore, very few merchants/restaurants take them. Use your ATM card to get a good supply at your arrival airport, then maybe once or twice during the cruise you may need to hit another ATM.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 10:43 AM
P_M

Last year I arrived at LGW to find the ATM out of service. I asked a security guard where to find another ATM and he said there were 3 more ATMs just up a flight of stairs. All of those were in service.

Most European airports have several ATMs from different banks, so it would be extremely odd to find all ATMs out of service. I highly doubt that will happen, but if it does, there's always the exchange booth. You'll be tatooed on the exchange rate, but it works in an emergency.

Traveler's checks are only good as a back-up and should never be your primary means of exchange. All smart travelers use the ATM card these days. The ATM gives the best rate of exchange with the lowest fees. ATMs are found everywhere and they are open 24/7. And if you come across an ATM that's out of service, do what I did and walk a few steps to find another one.