rome apartment help...1st time in Rome

Old Jun 13th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rome apartment help...1st time in Rome

looking at www.relaisrome.com

Has anyone stayed here? The apartment is located on via del corso, near the spanish steps. This is our first time to Rome.

We want a clean and decent apartment, in a safe area, close to sites, restaurants, etc.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 08:11 AM

I'd look near the Campo dei Fiori, or the Piazza Navonna area. The Spanish steps did not seem very "central" to me.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 08:15 AM

I agree. I find the spanish steps to be noisy, crowded and a little less central. I much prefer Piazza Navona and the surrounding areas (Campo di Fiore, Pantheon).

We stayed in this apartment through sleepinitaly.com for our last trip to Rome. The apartment itself was fine, albeit a little small, but the location was just wonderful. http://www.mostateparks.com/statemap.htm

Tracy
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 08:22 AM
MaureenB

The Domus Julia is the apartment 'annex' to the Hotel Julia, located near the Spanish Steps, just below the Barberini Palace, and relatively close to Trevi Fountain. My daughter and I stayed in a double/twin room this May and really were happy with it. It was 170 EUR, with a nice hot/cold breakfast buffet.
It might be more central near the other places mentioned, but I was happy we weren't in the "thick of things" for crowded streets, etc. We walked everywhere, except we took the metro to the Vatican. The metro stop was just about two blocks away.
I have posted a long trip report, which includes more details on the hotel, plus some great restaurants we found. You can click on my name above, to find it. Or I can cut-and-paste it on this thread if you prefer.

Old Jun 13th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies.

Tracy, which apartment did you stay in? The link you provided just took me to sleepinitaly.com, not your particular apartment.

Maureen, I will check out your trip report. Thank you!

Old Jun 13th, 2006, 08:32 AM

Larry 12
You will find more apartments than want if you google "apartments in Rome" or go to the slow travel web-site. I echo OPs' suggestions that you stay near campo dei fiori/piazza navonna sa they are the most central locations, tho' we stayed in the Monti area near the colosseum and loved it [though not the buses]. Have you seen the other thread about the Roma pass - looks well worth it.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 08:42 AM

Larry,

We stayed in the Apartment Via di San Giuliano. The apartment is more of a studio; all one room plus a bathroom. We really didn't use the apartment too much; we basically went this route to stay in the Piazza Navona area without spending a fortune. Our apartment was 95 euros per night. We were on a very quite road in the middle of a residential area about a five minute walk from Piazza Navona. There were lots of great restaurants and cafes nearby that were filled with locals, as I doubt very few tourists venture onto some of the streets that we stayed near.

Tracy
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 08:43 AM

I also used sleepinitaly and they were a pleasure to deal with. They have a lot of apartments in the Piazza Navona/Campo de' Fiori area, which would be a better location. You also have suggestions on your other Rome accommodation thread.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Tracy,

Thanks for pointing out the apartment you stayed in. It does not look quite as nice as the one on Via del Corso, but if the location is better...it would a better choice.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 09:30 AM

Just to elaborate, the slow travel site is www.slowtrav.com. It has rental reviews and rental agency reviews as well as lots of detailed information on what to expect when renting in Europe. They're especially strong on Italy. And have a detailed page on train travel in Italy.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 11:21 AM

You might want to try http://www.dolceroma.com/
You deal directly with the owner who speaks perfect English and is very organized.

We stayed in their Roman Forum apartment which was absolutely beautiful, close to transportation and the ancient sites. Slowtrav.com has them highly rec'd as well.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 12:36 PM

Larry12, the apartment is very basic and it probably isn't for everyone. We were just looking for a place to sleep after sightseeing all day. We love Rome and don't really spend a lot of time in our room, so as long as it had a nice comfortable bed and a bathroom we were happy. There are certainly nicer ones. I think it just depends on what you are looking for. Location for us is usually the most important, and there are lots of apartments in this area.

Sleep in Italy was a pleasure to deal with, and everything went smoothly and as planned.

Tracy
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 12:42 PM

Larry12 - I stayed at sleepinitaly.com/files/apt_leuto.html
A very nice apt within walking distance to all the sites. It is about 3-4 blocks from Piazza Navona, a nice place to wind down in the evening and people watch.

Tom
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Tracy,

I posted this message in a separate message as well...but wanted to post here as well in case you don't see the other message. I am still considering the San Giuliano apartment in Rome that you stayed in. I just realized that it is on the ground floor. Was that a problem for you at all? Is the area safe? How was the noise level. Thanks for you help.

Larry